Saturday, March 4, 2023

Potato Kugel

I first posted this recipe back in 2008 here.  It has been a long while since I have made it, but thought I'd make it with some salad we were having the other night.  It was super tasty and there was enough for us for two nights.


I decided though that I didn't want it the second night, so popped the other half left over into a pan with a carton (approx 1 litre) of chicken stock and heated it up for 20 minutes.
I then blended it with my stick bender and it made three big bowls of soup for hubby's lunch for one day and mine for two days.  It was really good and tasty.

The book it's from is The Shirley Goode Kitchen.  She had a tv show on BBC back in the 80's. Sadly Shirley Goode passed away in 2015, although her blog is still online and you can see it here.

I was pleasantly surprised that you can still purchase her book on Amazon.  Her book is all about saving money when buying food and making the most of all food purchased.  It's a back to the basics recipe book and although I rarely use it, it is a good reference book to have.  So it's very appropriate for nowadays with the rising cost of food.


7 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

mmmm - yum. I love potatoes so it's always fun to have a new recipe that's economical to try. Have written it out and will present it to Resident Chef for him to try.

Boud said...

That's a dish I could go for. You could vary and add all kinds of vegetables, cooked fish or poultry. Noted!

Jenn Jilks said...

That is the kind of chef to follow. Cheap and cheerful!

Maggie said...

That's a new one on me, looks tempting

William Kendall said...

Sounds good!

Joy said...

I loved Shirley. I used to chat to her via her blog until she passed away. She wasn't well and could be sharp but she was such a warm hearted lady. The recipes look fab. xx

Margie from Toronto said...

I have just ordered this book! I loved Shirley's blog and was a frequent commenter. Must try this recipe.

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...