Saturday, February 18, 2023

What a week

 I still feel like death warmed over.  It's been a long while since I have been this sick.  However speaking with various people there is a lot of this about.  As I write this post on Friday night, my plan of action is to try and get an appointment in a walk-in clinic on Saturday, as I have had this a week now.

I am no longer in tears every time I swallow as it hurt so much, so that's positive.  My throat still feels red raw, as does my ears.  When I start coughing it is never ending.  I have slept more in my reclining chair than in bed this past week, as I can't seem to sleep elevated in bed.

I have tried warm water and honey; the smell of honey makes me gag.  I don't think that does much good.  Tried the warm water and salt; gargling to try and ease my throat.  Had vicks spread on my chest and even the bottom of the feet; to no avail.  I swear the smell of vicks has changed over the years, have you noticed that?

I have been taking Buckley's, which as the advert says, "tastes awful, but is good for you."  However taking/doing all these things has resulted in me having a very upset stomach.

So that's why I have decided to try and get an appointment at a walk-in clinic.

If anyone else has had this head cold/flu thing, how long does it last and did you go to the doctors?



13 comments:

Practical Parsimony said...

I am not sure if it is the medicine or the lung/head thing making me feel so miserable. Vicks seems the same to me, but other things smell off. I had a cookie today that was disgusting. Well, it saved me from eating more. I quit taking the med the doc gave me. I objected to the prescription but gave in. I hope we both get better. I had taken it for a week and I was getting worse!

Joy said...

You poor thing - it sounds really horrible and I think getting some professional advice is a very good idea indeed. There's some really nasty bugs going the rounds right now.
Sending love. xx

Donna said...

Oh Nooo! No, I was sick with Covid in January 2019...it lasted until the second week in March! Two and a half months! It was a horrible experience! I had ALL of your symptoms plus pneumonia!
They put me on an extremely strong antibiotic about two weeks into it...thought I was going to die. A woman saved me though...she had some leftover antibiotics and let me have them...it worked until I could get to the doctors office. Without those few pills, I know I wouldn't have made it.
Sicne then? Larry and I both SLATHER on the hand sanitizer!! Shopping, restaurants...any push buggy...whenever we get back to the car! Neither of us have been sick in 4 years! I'm a true believer in sanitizing and hand washing! It Works!
Feel better Soon friend! And take a page from my story...hand sanitize!
hugs
Donna

Cheryl said...

It sounds like you have something like I had a few years ago. I could hardly even swallow my saliva it hurt so bad all I could do was cry and wanna die. I did see the doctor and he wrote a prescription for something to numb my throat mixed with something pinkish like pepto bismol to coat my tummy. Hope you feel better soon. It took about a week to start feeling better.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Oh no - I'm so sorry you're going through this!! Really hope you can get an appointment at the clinic today and they can give you something to help you feel better. I wonder, if it's not covid, if it's that RSV virus which is supposed to be a real doozy as well. To say nothing about the rotten flu/colds that are making the rounds. After a couple of years of such caution with masks and hand washing, people are getting lax and now the 'bugs' are coming back full force...and with a vengeance. Take care of you.

maureenlthompson said...

I hope you start to feel better soon and the doctor can prescribe something to help. It seems the viruses these days are much worse than they used to be. Take care. XXXXX

Hawaii Planner said...

I'm so sorry to hear that - it sounds miserable! Here's hoping you feel better quickly!!

50 and counting said...

Get tested for Strep throat.

Having said this, I've been fighting something similar for the last ten days (and I'm on holiday). Sore throat and ear but only on one side. Chills, sweats, rash, a cough that hurt for days, my ribs were not happy and it's never ending, and a good 12 hours of vomiting and the trots. Oh, and I tested negative on a home Covid kit.

Rest, keep hysdrated and wash those hands alot.

Rachel said...

Oh no. So sorry you've been sick. That sounds awful. I hope you could get an appointment. The moment my ears start hurting I know I need meds so try to get into the doctor. Hope you feel better soon.

William Kendall said...

Good to get into a doctor's office and be sure.

Notes From The Frugal Trenches said...

So sorry to hear you are still sick, Gill. I agree, can they test you for strep? Just to be sure. Thinking of you lots. xo

Jenn Jilks said...

It's a good idea to get checked out!

Belinda said...

Oh no! I’m so sorry you’ve been sick. I’m hoping you did make it to the doctor and will be on the road to a speedy recovery.

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...