Friday, August 7, 2009

Buddy Friday - Homemade and home grown is the best....

I mentioned the other day that my dad had made me a set of book shelves from some old barn board we had on the property. I finally got them varnished, I put three coats on them and they look smashing.

So on Thursday I set about filling them. This is what they looked like before I started to fill them up:

This is the side of them, my dad made them fancy.

This is my best friend "Dolly," without her I wouldn't have been able to cart all the books up from the basement. "Dolly," is my second best friend after the lawn tractor and trailer.
I had seven boxes of books to unpack.


Here is the after, all my books neatly sorted. I even unpacked a box of ornaments, and put some on the top shelf.

I dug up a potato top for supper and picked some more raspberries, I make mini Pavlova's with them, using individual meringue bases, raspberries and fresh cream.........they are yummy!!

So basically what I am saying I am lucky to have a dad who can build such lovely furniture and I am lucky I can go into the garden and harvest such lovely fruit and vegetables.
For more Buddy Friday posts, pop over to Margaret's Ramblings

9 comments:

stitchersanon said...

hehe...I can remember a time before you moved when you couldn't understand the pointo fgrowing your own when it is probably cheaper to buy. Watch out...growing yourown is very very addictive lol

Anonymous said...

Those raspberries look delicious!!

Clippy Mat said...

great shelves. he did a good job and you stained them really well too. they suit the style of the house perfectly. :-)

Scrappy quilter said...

Love the look of the bookshelf with all the books on. And like Gaynor say, growing you own is very addictive. Hugs..

Kadeeae said...

Homemade really is the best, the shelving is lovely - you're so lucky!

Patty said...

Shelves look great, perhaps you can find another board or two and your Dad could make a few bookends for you. I can't imagine how you pulled "DOLLY" up the stairs with the boxes of books.

Potatoes and berries look yummy. Myself, I love raw potatoes, slice them, salt and pepper them and eat like apple slices.

Hope you have a restful week-end planned.

Winifred said...

What a clever dad you have. The shelves are lovely with that colour stain. Clever you too.

The rasps look scrumptious. I love them with meringues and cream too.

Daxingcujo said...

Hey Gill those look awesome..and you dad's an amazing carpenter! lovely!

Evelyn said...

great loking shelves and veggies! I love books too1 evelyn

Hotel Stay - Dinner

As part of our hotel stay the kids had booked us dinner, breakfast and afternoon tea. Here is what we ate at dinner.  Everything was spot on...