Monday, August 31, 2009

The Summer that wasn't.......

Well here we are on the last day of August and honestly Fall is here. Poor dh has had to have his blanket put back on his side of the bed. Me, I'm always too hot, so never need a blanket.

Now normally I take the blanket off at the beginning of May, this year it was on until mid-June. I normally put it back on the bed by mid to late September, but its been much too cold for dh, so we had to put it back on.

I am hoping to hold off putting the heating back on until the end of September, but don't hold out much hope. We had the heating on, on June 1st, which is a month later than we normally have it on. We are still in double digits in the morning, but I am guessing frost will be here soon. I have had to put my jogging pants on, gone are the shorts.

I prefer the cooler temperatures, so I am not complaining, but a lot of people are wondering where the summer went too? The Fall is my favourite season of the year. I got more work done on the fireplace on the weekend, and it should be completely finished by Thursday. We have the guy coming by on Tuesday night to give us a certificate for our insurance for the fireplace. Then in the next week or so, we have to have a fire in the fireplace, to burn off the "new smell." We need to do that on a day when we can have the doors and windows open as its supposed to be stinky. I remember doing the same thing with the gas fire in our last two homes.

An update from yesterday. I left a note at our neighbours house regarding plowing the snow on our driveway. This we think will be the best way to go. We'll have to see if he gets back to me, and see how much he charges.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Plowing snow. Starting fireplace up. Those things remind me of winter. And as odd as this summer has been here in Ohio with cool, way cooler than normal weather, I have some doubts about this winter. I hope it is mild for us but one never knows. Sounds like you are in about the same boat.

Pick a Peck of Pixels

Scrappy quilter said...

Don't put the shorts away yet Gill. This coming week is suppose to be hot and it'll be coming your way. Everyone here is also saying "where did the summer go". I don't like it hot so it's been perfect for me. However I also don't want frost just yet and the last couple of nights it's been getting pretty close. This week +28C.

Karine said...

Yeah, the whole eastern part of Canada really had almost no summer to speak of this year :o( I remember one day in July I went to work in long pants, shoes and a sweater! Yech! It's turned cool now here too, but oh, glorious sunshine!!! That makes it so much easier to take :o)

Twisted Fencepost said...

Wow, it sure has been a short summer for you.
I don't care for cold weather so I'm hoping mother nature will hold off on the cold a little longer this year.

Clippy Mat said...

we had a reprieve. it's going to be good weather all week. not ready for Fall yet. :-)

Sandi McBride said...

Rain all day...I love it...and Mac has the blankets on his side as well...I kick cover off and never retrieve it! It's only 65 degrees right now when the normal for today is 85...loving it!!!!
Sandi

Lakeland Jo said...

I love the autumn but I wasn't quite ready for it yet, and now we have been catapulted into winter. Aggh!

Cherie said...

I have had to put our blanket back on the bed too. I am somewhat bitter about that. We are hoping to avoid turning on the heat until at least November 1st too.

Evelyn said...

I love the cool weather, last week we had temps over 30. we usually get an "Indian summer" in september so I am not holding out hope that summer is gone.

Deborah at Kilbourne Grove said...

It was cold and rainy up in Owen Sound all weekend. We had a fire both days. I think that I will call the furnace guy to come and service our furnace in September insteading of waiting until October like I usually do.

Hotel Stay - Dinner

As part of our hotel stay the kids had booked us dinner, breakfast and afternoon tea. Here is what we ate at dinner.  Everything was spot on...