Sunday, August 30, 2009

Need some advise......

I was in Bulk Barn last week and all the Halloween candy was out????

I was in Michael's yesterday and all their Halloween stuff is out.

In the newspaper on Saturday there was this article about Christmas things in the stores already!!!

Then in the flyer's the snow blowers are in the Sears and Canadian Tire flyer's. Which brings me to the advise I need, we have a Craftsman lawn tractor. We have the choice of putting this snow blower attachment on the front of the tractor, or this snow blade attachment As you can see there is a big difference in the price. Plus we have to buy weights for the back of the tractor which will be another $300 to $400 and snow chains for the tires which will be another $100.

Our driveway is a "P" shape and is at least 300 feet long. We have a snow blower like this one but feel its not big enough for the driveway, but will do in a push. The problem with that though is I have a hard time using it. Now one of our neighbours does plowing and I am sure if I have a word with him, he would plow us out when its bad. No idea how much he charges, even if its $30 a time, we can have him come a lot of times and it still not cost as much as buying the snow blower attachment.

So what would you do? What works the best for you? We don't have the $2,000 for the snow blower attachment. I am going to look online to see if I can get them second hand, but not sure if I'll be successful.

On Saturday we went to another Home Depot store, one we hadn't been too before and they were selling off some of their rental equipment. They had a couple of roto tiller's, mid-sized ones Honda brand and they were selling them at around $650 each. They are three years old and are over $1,500 new. Dh mentioned to the guy that he would buy one if he could get it for $500 and a six month guarantee. The guy took all our info and said he would talk to his boss about it. We had planned on buying one as a gift to one another for Christmas, as we really want to expand our veggie garden for next year. I'll let you know if this all comes to fruition.

7 comments:

Mary Smith said...

I don't have much experience with that much snow, being from Vancouver, but I can relate to the Halloween stuff. I saw it in the dollar store already and my daughter has started drawing pumpkins.

that british woman s brother said...

whats wrong with a shovel - they are only a few quid and being manually operated will keep you warm as well thus saving on heating charges - added bonus you can save on gym membership as it will keep you fit !!!

MyBulletinBoard said...

Gill, you should get my DH's old girlfriend to do the snow for you. He found her pic this morning. I put it up on my blog. No problem. Liz

Karine said...

In my family we've always hired people to do the plowing. It's easier and cheaper and better for the environment because it takes an extra gas powered snow blower out of commission. It also cancels out the risk of injuring yourself using a heavy snow blower and then of course there's the big plus of not having to trudge out in the freezing bloody cold to plow and-or shovel :o)

Scrappy quilter said...

We use a shovel. Our neighbour does the sidewalks. So I can't help you there.

Has to the tiller, it was one of the best investments we made years ago when we still lived in the city. I bought it for B for father's day. It's still going strong.

Evelyn said...

now that i am working full time we are looking at options for the winter for our driveway. it is similiar to yours and I have shoveled it before but I won't have the time this winter. it costs between 30 and 40 plow for around here. see if you can hire someone who will set a price for the winter no matter how many trips, they even out to be a better deal in the end if you get alot of snow. also get someone who will sand when needed as well as plow, a long driveway may mean ice.

Andrea said...

Do you have a lawnmower? Get a blade attachment for it and plow your own drive! They're much cheaper than a snow blower and they work for dirt too!

Hotel Stay - Dinner

As part of our hotel stay the kids had booked us dinner, breakfast and afternoon tea. Here is what we ate at dinner.  Everything was spot on...