Wednesday, January 18, 2023

First trip to Costco

Hubby and I had our first trip to Costco last Friday.  After wandering around for nearly an hour and again being totally overwhelmed with it all, we walked out with this little lot:


There was one thing missing from that photo and it was the box with the Turbo Tax cd in it.  We buy it every year to do our taxes.  It was $34.99, we normally pay $39.99, so a savings of $5.  All of the things above came to $55.05 (not including the Turbo Tax)

Everything I got was a bit cheaper than if I had purchased them in Wal-Mart.  The 24 packages of yogurt were on for $5.49 with a mid-February expiry date.  We go through a lot of yogurts and I pay that price for 16 yogurts.  The cheese slices were $9.99 for 60.  If I can get them for $3.99 for 24 I am doing well.  The hummus was a good deal at $6.99 for 16 individuals tubs, I pay that for the 12 individual tubs.  The bananas were $1.69 for I am assuming 3lbs which is the going rate.  The 5 pack of deodorant was $12.99 again a good price.  Finally the fruit snacks were $9.49.  I paid 13% tax on the fruit snacks and the deodorant; and of course the tax programme.

Check out was a breeze, we went for 9am and I took your advise and checked prices before I bought.  Produce was big quantities, so unless I am feeding the whole family, I won't be buying there.  The milk was $5.69 (I think) which is what I would normally pay.  However Shopper's Drug Mart quite often has it on sale for that price, so would rather pick it up there and get the points.

I was quite happy with what we got.  I won't have to buy deodorant for quite a few months.  The snacks and hummus will last a while; as will the cheese slices.  Dh takes them as part of his lunch.

It's going to take a bit of getting used to but I can see us using it more and more.

Thank you again for all your advise.

9 comments:

Joy said...

I've never been in Costco so thank you for a bit of an 8insight. It's not that tempting really - portions are just too big. xx

William Kendall said...

Not viable for me without a car, as it is.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I don't recognize much of what you got so I assume Costco in Canada is a bit different. I love the books and sometimes I can find some good prices on clothing. A great sweater or sweatshirt or thermals when I lived up north. Trust me in time you will become addicted. Plants and flowers can be a good buy at times as well. I don't get the portion thing everyone talks about. So you buy a big container of paper towels. They are cheaper and I have them for months. Same with the food. What is too much? A rotisserie chicken is just one chicken and it's so delicious.We make several meals from that and it's cheaper than grocery store and far more flavorful as well. We freeze a ton and honestly it saves us such time and money it's worth it.i I admit I have a garage fridge/freezer so that helps. Same with the paper products that are stored in my garage in a cabinet.
So there is my 2 cents that you didn't ask for 😁

Hawaii Planner said...

Ooh, the deodorant is a really good price & my teens prefer that kind. I'll keep my eye out for that. If there is one thing we go through a lot of at my house, it's the deodorant!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Interesting to read your report on your trip to Coscto. You did really well to only buy what you did because I must say that place is a danger to the bank account! We don't miss going other than the convenience of getting their big packages of Kirkland toilet paper, paper towels and 'kleenex'.

angela said...

Costco is about an hours drive from me in heavy traffic but apple one is going in near where my daughter lives
I’ll give it another try then Glad you got some bargains

Jackie said...

When we would do our stock up trips in Regina (we live 2 hours away) Costco was one of the places we hit. I would buy those cheese slices, toothpaste, and Harvey's Vitalux. I have now given up the membership as we were not using it enough.

God bless.

Jeanie said...

We're still trying to decide if we should keep our membership and I may not -- but before it expires next month, do a massive buy and get toilet paper for a year, loads of paper towel and kleenex, and my Ricola cough drops and tylenol en masse. And nuts for next year's baking, which I'll freeze. Maybe. And check out their books. Because we're gone for three or so months in the summer and no Costco nearby, I'm not sure if we max out the membership savings. Last year's was a gift from the kids but this year we'll be on our own. Who knows -- I might get there and be so thrilled with what I see I renew! But as one person primarily (and sometimes two of us) with limited storage, it makes buying so much food or large quantities of things hard.

Notes From The Frugal Trenches said...

We buy that yoghurt there too and yes it's cheaper - and you get more!

You did very very well Gill not to go overboard. As you likely saw, at Costco it's so easy to make unplanned purchases!!!!

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...