Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Follow up re: hearing test

Hubby went to have his hearing tested and he has worked as an electrician in a factory environment all his working life.  Now due to it being noisy his hearing has been damaged, and if he wants he can wear hearing aids.  Not at work though, with all the noise, but if he is in a crowded environment.  He has decided not to get them and I am in agreement with him, as I don't think he needs them yet.

Interesting though is that he has worked 35 years in Ontario in the same factory, so he can make a claim through Workman's Compensation and may be able to qualify for free hearing aids.  He doesn't have to get them now, but as long as the paperwork is filed he can claim later.  Hubby doesn't want to "bother" anyone and file.

BUT, as the lady at the hearing clinic told him that hearing aids can cost between $2,000 and up to $5,000 a pair, I think it would be a good idea to file the paperwork.  If they say no to his claim, fine, nothing lost, nothing gained.  However, if they accept it, we won't have to fork out all that money when we are retired.

I can't, nor will I force hubby to file the paperwork, but I do think it wouldn't hurt to do so.


5 comments:

Belinda said...

I agree with you. It would not hurt to have it in order in case he needs it down the road as hearing aids are expensive.

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

I have a very close friend whose daughter is hearing impaired in both ears. Trust me, you want to fill out of the forms and try to get the best hearing aids possible. It is the very least a company can do after all those years. -Jenn

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I agree - he should at least file the paperwork and then the fact that there's an issue is on record. That amount of money isn't something to want to have to come up with on your own. I think, if you have a prescription, you can use it towards your medical expenses on your income tax too. I wish my DH had had the option of getting hearing aids even partially paid for because we have no medical plan so everything has to come out of pocket. He's heard that having tinnitus means hearing aids won't work so he refuses to even entertain the thought.

Jackie McGuinness said...

Absolutely do the paperwork. My husband wears hearing aids, not due to work, so I know how expensive they are and we replace every 2-3 years!

Jackie said...

I would definitely do up the paperwork and get it filed. My husbands hearing is also almost to the point he needs hearing aids, but his is from working on the farm growing up and not wearing hearing protection.

God bless.

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...