Wednesday, January 17, 2024

You're a right narna."

narna/nana is slang for fool/crazy

Mainly used in the UK.

For example: I felt like a right nana, when I was the only one who turned up in fancy dress for the party.

So what is this all about?  Hubby loves to watch British football/soccer on the tv.  I am generally around, and although not actually paying attention, I must be half paying attention.

The other day it was on tv and I was on my laptop, when all of a sudden I thought the commentator of the game says: "He's a right narna."

My head pops up and I say to hubby; "Did he call him a right narna?"

Hubby says; "No his name is Onana."

There is a football player called Andre Onana, who plays for Manchester United, you can read about him here.

The only problem now though, is I can't unhear the word narna/banana.  He will always be a "right narna!!"  Poor guy, I'm sorry!!



4 comments:

Joy said...

In our family we used to say 'daft banana' or 'soppy banana', especially my grandparents. I haven't used it for ages now though. xx

Jackie said...

While Canadians use many of the same words as our British/UK friends, that is one I had never heard of before. Might have to use it so no one knows what I am saying. Some people are right narna.

God bless.

angela said...

Sounds like something I’d do lol
The only sport I watch is our AFL football and only if my team is playing
Hubby watches motor sports and that’s so boring I’ve fallen asleep during it
I think they’re all right nanas just driving around in circles

Magpie's Mumblings said...

That's funny! The only sport we watch is the Blue Jays. DH likes to know the scores of the hockey and basketball games but he never watches the games.

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...