Thursday, January 25, 2024

Washing Machine Cleaning...........

I can blame my son and daughter-in-law for all this work 😏  We were talking the other week about our front loader washing machines and they were complaining about the mould on the seal and how they are having to clean out the filter because Liam insists on rolling around in the dirt in his snowsuit.....don't ask???

Anyhow, I decided to order some product from Amazon for both of us to clean the mould off the seal.  I got it and decided to try it before giving the product to my daughter-in-law just to make sure it works.  You can see it here on Amazon, and I give it a 10 out of 10.  It works so well.

Make sure you read all the instructions first.  Also if you are not keen on using chemicals, this product is not for you, it has acid in it.

I left it on for 6 hours, and there is enough product left in the tube to do it again.
This is what it looked like before:
This is what it looked like after.  You do have to do a machine cleaning cycle after you have done this to remove any remaining product after you have wiped it off.
Now at the bottom of my washer and probably yours, is a door.  Inside is a filter.  Mine even has instructions on how to clean it all out.  Make sure you put a pan or towel on the floor to catch any water.
As I have had this set for five years and never cleaned it out, it was not only filthy it stunk.  Gosh was it stinky.  
The water in my bucket was black.
However after all said and done, and a little bit of work, my washer is sparkling clean.

I won't be leaving it so long next time.

My dryer has had a thorough clean out as it was playing up, so hubby had it all apart.

One job on our list is to renovate the laundry room at the end of the year.  Looking forward to sorting it all out.

10 comments:

Joy said...

That hits at my conscience. Maybe it needs to go on The List! xx

Linda said...

That is disgusting but amazingly clean afterwards. How long will you wait to clean it again?
Practical Parsimony

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I certainly did not know about that trap door on those washing machines - something to be aware of. I've forwarded your post to our son and daughter-in-love who have that type of machine so they can check theirs. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Goodness, We have had our washer four years now and I haven’t cleaned the filter either! I run the cleaning cycle every 30 washes.
I know what I will be doing today!😆
Robin

My Piece of Earth said...

Thanks for the info. Good to know when mine needs a clean, at the present time it's new, so will keep on top of it before it gets really dirty.

Jackie said...

Hmmm, I think I might have to see if we have a door to clean the filter on our washer. Goodness knows what that looks like.

God bless.

Belinda said...

Wow! What a huge difference! I love getting things clean like that.

DeniseinVA said...

A good job well done! This reminds me I should tackle ours. Thanks for the visit. I have enjoyed catching up.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Well done Gil! I do not have a front loader because my friends told me about the smell from the mold issue they had. I was unaware. I went old school when I moved and got a washer where the lid is on top. But I still have to clean that sucker as I just did to my dryer. I had to clean the thing that cleans my things. Funny if you think about it.

Angela said...

IMPORTANT I clean my filter regularly. Just before Christmas I did so, but did not screw it back in carefully enough. I put on a washload the next day, and came back to a flood! My mistake, but extra work! So please take time to do it carefully.

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...