Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Costco and cooking

Went to Costco on Monday morning to pick up a few things, as we are forecast for snow for the next few days.  Just renewed my membership, so going into my second year with the membership and very happy with it.  I did spend $75 on that lot, but there is 3 weeks worth of bread, probably the same with the yogurt.  Same with the fruit snacks.  There are ten pieces of garlic naan, so that will be part of five meals for the pair of us.  The hummus was a great deal at $6.99 for 24 mini containers.  I have one with rice crackers for my lunch every day.

Now one thing I did buy were these kitchen garbage bags.  It's the first time I have bought them.  They were $19.99 and they will last me probably just over 2 years.  I normally empty our kitchen bin a couple times a week.
This is our kitchen bin, it's under the sink.
It turns out that they are exactly the same as the ones I buy in Walmart and they are about a 1/3rd cheaper than if I were to buy the same quantity in Walmart, so a win, win situation.
Made a garden salad on Monday morning for a couple of days.  This is the before:
This is the after.  It's a bit heavy on the tomatoes, as they needed using up as they were going soft.
Also had some potatoes that needed using up.  Diced them up and put the dressing over them and will roast them in the oven while I bake a quiche.

Now granted prepping all those veggies took a while, but supper is now organized for the next couple of days.

Do you cook once and eat multiple times in your house?
 

5 comments:

Linda said...

One big push frees up time on other days. It all looks delicious, healthy, and ready to eat or finish a meal.

Angela said...

Oh definitely. But sometimes I have to make sure I do two 2-portion dishes. If I do a pudding in a 4 person dish, we are often tempted to eat it all at one meal. Especially if it is rice pudding or fruit crumble. Oops.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

We let our Costco membership lapse because the closest one is over an hour away and car trips aren't something that's comfortable for RC with his sciatic issues. I do miss their Kirkland toilet paper, paper towels and facial tissues (and their pre-cooked chickens) and sometimes we'd buy the large containers of various vitamins.

Joy said...

The salad looks delicious.
I like doing a batch cook and when I have a roast dinner, I use the meat in various different ways until it's used up. xx

Jackie said...

I made my first ever sausage rolls yesterday, and fried up some leftover mashed potatoes into patties. Those are in the freezer now to be used when I need a break from cooking.

God bless.

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...