Friday, June 14, 2019

I think we will end up calling this summer........

The wet Summer of 2019.  You get the odd dry day, interspersed with lots of wet days.  So whenever it has been dry I have been trying to make an extra effort to get outside and get some gardening done.  Wednesday just happened to be a dry day and I was home, so in and out of the garden I was all day.

One job I did get done was get an edge dug around the tree closest to the road on the front, as it had merged into the grass.  This was the before:
 This was the after.
 We have two trees in the front garden, this being the other garden bed.  I got that dug over earlier in the week.
From these photos the grass doesn't look too bad, but believe me when I say that it is more weeds than grass.  Luckily for us the weeds are green 😉

I also dug up a bag of weeds using my handy dandy dandelion/weed extractor that I blogged about here.  I also cut the back grass, and the side of the house grass (the one we re-sodded) and "whipper-snipped" all the edges.  So all in all a productive day gardening wise.

My goal is to try and get one area a week cleaned up.......figures crossed I succeed.  How is your garden doing?

10 comments:

Joy said...

Sounds like a good target to me. Good luck with it!
xx

Anonymous said...

It looks so neat and tidy and healthy! Gardens are just being planted here except for spring perennials , our veggie gardens just go in about now, short growing season this far north.

Patio Postcards said...

Well done you. Through the heavy rains yesterday I commented to Mr Man that our gardens are becoming a jungle. The bugs are terrible because of all the wet & cold, & so far any nice dry day has seen me at work :(

Arlene G said...

You are very industrious Gill!! All that digging would play havoc with my back! Good for you!!

William Kendall said...

Nicely done!

Chris said...

Much the same here - the lawn more weeds than grass! I haven't got very far with planting vegetables but hope to put some more in this weekend. Let's hope for some dry days.

Rose said...

Want to come do mine? I would not want anyone to see...about the time I started walking normal with the foot on the side with all the breaks last year, my knee on the other side has been really bothering me...I have to be so, so careful. And have so much to do. It weighs heavily. I don't know how I am going to pin baste quilts...I have a way I may do them, but am afraid I will get pleats.

Rose said...

Well, I forgot to say your yard does look good!

Jackie said...

One target a week is a good one. I worked on my perennial bed early this morning. Not so much because of rain, more because it gets too hot mid morning on to even think of working outside.

If you get tired of rain send some our way.

God bless.

Caree Risover said...

Oh yes, I began by breathing a sigh of relief that my clay soil isn’t baking hard and my water butts running dry as they had done by the end of May last year, but now I’m holding my head in my hands wondering when the cold and rain will ever stop to let me finish sowing/planting in my vegetable patch. As for the slugs; I thought they’d emigrated last year, but now it seems they were only hiding and are back with their extended families!

Hotel Stay - Dinner

As part of our hotel stay the kids had booked us dinner, breakfast and afternoon tea. Here is what we ate at dinner.  Everything was spot on...