Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Appleby Lane...................

As I have mentioned before hand, I have been busy and had hinted in this post, something was "afoot."  So here you go, you all deserve a peek into what I have been doing and what is happening.

Welcome to:



I am opening up an online Facebook store called Appleby Lane.  The name has some meaning to it.  I lived in the town of Appleby, Cumbria for around 21 years; it's the town I grew up in.  I was going to use the Cumbrian word for lane which is LONNIN, instead of Lane for the name, but decided no one would have any idea what it was.  So Appleby Lane it is.

After listening to what a number of people were saying, both on here and in my personal life, I thought I'd give it a go.  I have decided to go the Facebook route to see if I can sell anything, as who knows if anyone will like any of my items?  Or be willing to pay for them.

Over the years you will have seen what I am making, and over the next few days I will give you a preview of items and basically give you first chance of the things I have made to sell.

This "store" will be a work in progress and a learning curve for me, as I have never done this sort of thing before.  I do know I won't be making millions doing this.....truthfully I will be barely breaking even, but I enjoy sewing and especially love doing bags.  

I will not be selling the "fancier" bags, but the totes, etc.  I need to keep an eye on the price point.  Already, I had someone saying that they can go out and buy a tote for a couple of dollars in one breath and then saying "but yours are very nice," in another breath.  Talk about mixed messages!!

If anyone has any advice for me, I would welcome it and as I said over the next few days, I will share with you what I have made and what prices I will be asking.

The Facebook store should be open on Saturday afternoon/night I am hoping, until then, I will be setting it up with my daughter.


12 comments:

Joy said...

How exciting. Good luck with this venture. I'll be reading, for sure. Will you post a link when it's up and running?
xx

Maggie said...

I think it's hard selling hand made things, people (sometimes) don't appreciate the time gone into making something. Yes you can go and buy a tote bag for a £ or two but by buying handmade you are getting something unique and so much better.
I have listed three of my crochet blankets on ebay, (baby blankets) the yarn is from stash so i'm not asking a lot but still I've only sold one. I've looked at some others who are selling crochet blankets and even to me they seem expensive, so I've no idea why mine haven't sold.
Good luck with your venture and I love the name of your shop :-)

Evelyn said...

good luck Gill!

Patio Postcards said...

Well done you & congratulations of this venture. That's a very stunning business card. Will your F/B page reflect the same name?

You know that with all the little villages (like mine) having weekly Farmer's Markets, you could probably get a table to introduce yourself, showcase your fabulous bags & line up customers.

Lynnypoo said...

Good luck ,can remember when you came to live in appleby ,wow it's a long time ago ,nice that you remember the lovely place call the best for your new venture xxx

Arlene G said...

Good Luck Gill....love the name of the store an I look forward to seeing your wares.

Karen said...

Congratulations and good luck!

William Kendall said...

Bravo!

Patio Postcards said...

Found your F/B Site - :)

Rose said...

Oh, I wish you success with this. And hope you continue to enjoy your sewing.

Jackie said...

How wonderful. I wish you the best of luck. Now to find your page.

God bless.

mamasmercantile said...

Congratulations on your new venture, hope it all works out.

Hotel Stay - Dinner

As part of our hotel stay the kids had booked us dinner, breakfast and afternoon tea. Here is what we ate at dinner.  Everything was spot on...