Thursday, April 20, 2023

Been busy sewing........

so haven't had time to blog.  However I have got a good job, jobbed as we say!!

The weather has been all over the place, freezing cold one day and up in the high 20's the next.  I hunted out the chairs and cushions for the front porch and decided the cushions needed freshened up.

Here is the before, I redid them in this fabric back in April of 2019, you can read about it here.

I picked up 2 metres of the poppy fabric for $18 per metre, and I took what was left of the grey/black fabric which was around 1 1/2 metres at $7 per metre.  Now I use a contrast fabric for the sides as I am too lazy to try and match the pattern on the fabric for the sides!!  Hubby wants me to make cushions for the back of the chairs (full length).  I don't have any foam, so will have to purchase some.  I do have more than enough fabric though to make them though.
I chose this fabric as my favourite colour is red and my favourite flower is a poppy.
I messed up when cutting out the sides, so sewed together the extra pieces to make the backs of the smaller cushions.
Now I am a Guttermnn girl when it comes to thread for my sewing machine, BUT I was cursing this spindle up and down.  It kept knotting up and breaking.  I need to give my machine a good clean I think.  I changed the needle on the weekend, as a neighbour asked me to sew a couple of things for her; it was a quick simple project.
This is the first lot of sewing I have done in a while.  I really had to think what I was doing!!

Another good job done.  All we need now is the good weather to come back!  We had snow on Tuesday here; thankfully it was warm enough it melted as soon as it touched the ground.


5 comments:

Maggie said...

Love your new cushions, they are bright and cheery. Still on the cooler side here too, although the sun has been making an appearances.

Donna said...

LOVE the new fabric! SO bright against all the green od trees and grass.
Well done!
hugs
Donna

Rachel said...

I love the new cushion covers. So pretty and cheery! I haven't put my seats out yet as we had snow showers Monday and today it is in the 80s. Crazy Ohio weather.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Your new cushions look so pretty! Red poppies are a favourite of mine too. I'm a fan of Gutermann threads too but recently got a spool that the 'plies' (is that the correct word?) weren't spun together properly. Good for basting but not sewing unfortunately.

My Piece of Earth said...

Love those cushions, I use that thread all the time on my machine.
A good clean and a new needle usually are the answers to that problem, also rethreading the machine, I find helps too.

Welcome back to the sewing scene.

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...