Monday, February 1, 2010

Nothing much to report..............

Sunday was a quiet day at the Acerage.  Dh spent the morning sanding the drywall in the closet, what a mess that makes, even when you put plastic sheeting up.  I spent an hour or so cleaning up our bedroom.  I would love to say that all the dirty work has been done, but no, as the idiot we bought the house off, didn't put up the drywall properly on the bedroom ceiling, so that too is to repair {SIGH}  At the moment the ceiling is flat, but we are thinking of stippling it to cover up the imperfections. 

Meanwhile I am going to get the inside of the closet painted.  I don't have paint though for the finish coat so will have to pop out to get that.  I am thinking a light beige colour, almost a magnolia colour. 

The weather has been all over the place this last week.  This weekend past was the coldest we have had in a long while.  The weekend prior it was raining and the temperatures we above freezing.  Now we are heading into February which to me is the longest month of the year, despite it being the shortest month of the year.  Febraury always seems to drag on for me.  Plus generally its cold, windy and snowy. 

Also by February I am so over winter, all I want is spring to arrive.  However that's another two months away for us here in Canada.

I hung the metal star thing I got on Saturday on the family room wall, until it gets a bit warmer and then I'll hang in on the wall outside of the house.


So how did you manage in the month of January with the Daily Savings Pot?  Did you find it easy to do?  What are you planning to put away in your pot daily this month?

Today's Money Saving Tip:

What do you do with the crusts or heels of a loaf of bread? Do you throw it away or give it to the birds? Simply run them through the food processor and freeze until ready to use. You will never have to buy breadcrumbs again. If you prefer the seasoned variety, add some basil, oregano and garlic powder while processing. They freeze well in a plastic container or freezer bag.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great tip!

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

It's always something when you own a house, isn't it? I love your metal stars by the way!!

I agree with you about February--It can't get over with soon enough--However, I don't know where January went...

Karine said...

ah, the hidden surprises you find while renovating a house. My mom and I had a field day when she bought her current one, it turned out that we were pretty much living in a fire trap since the guy who had it before was a 'do-it-yourselfer' who thought he was God's gift to renovators when he actually had no clue what he was doing...

As for February, it's gonna fly by for me since I have something to do each weekend, plus an 11 day vacation that'll shoot me right through half of it!

Lib said...

Love the stars!
We just went through all the sanding &dust!Glad its behind us!
I always make herbal bread crumbs,always great to have on hand!Thanks for all your great tips!
Stay warm and cozy!
Blessins',Lib

Stella Jones said...

I give the birds whatever I can.
Love the stars on your wall.
Good tip about the bread.
Regarding the January stock cupboard, I did that as a matter of having to! (laughing).
Blessings, Star

Prairie Farmstead Ponderings said...

We're right there with you here on the Prairie, Gill ~ February 1st brought with it more snow. There's still plenty left from the previous blizzards. I would have been completely happy without any additional.

Scrappy quilter said...

Our $7.75 is in our savings account. I transferred it there has soon has our checks were deposited in the bank. This month it will be $14.00.

We wish they would never have stippled our ceilings. They did it to cover up lots of cracks, etc. It's really hard to paint over and I really don't like the effect it gives. Just me though!!

Hugs

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Stippling the ceiling sounds the answer. I like your stars too Gill. A x

Manchester Lass, Now and Then said...

Wish I could send you over some of our hot and humid weather Gill. It was a lovely surprise seeing your comment on my blog. I woke up this morning thinking of future posts and am I doing the right thing. I am a member of Simple Savings www.simplesavings.com.au if you get chance check out the site as you can access various bits of info for free. They also had a free calender which I printed off a copy, great tips for the year ahead.

Stephanie D said...

What a great tip! I usually throw mine out for the birds, or crumble it into the compost bin, but this is a much better idea!

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...