Thursday, February 25, 2010

Well I have finally gone and done it...........

I have joined Facebook.  No idea why I did, as I have no clue what so ever with what I am doing.  I figured I could maybe see photos of the nieces and nephews in Britain and keep up with what they are up too.

Honestly though I don't see the point of it all?  I would rather send an email, but I guess people would prefer using Facebook?  I am assuming there is a Facebook for Dummies page where it explains what to do?  I hope so, as I can see me spending a bit of time on that page.

There seems to be all sorts of pages and all sorts of other stuff going on.  A friend sent me an email and he said, " Facebook used to be “good” now they have to much garbage on it and your page gets filled up with people sending games/gag gifts/junk and more junk."

So I guess one thing I am asking you today, are any of you Facebook users?  What are the do's and don'ts.  What is the best thing about Facebook, and what is the worst thing about Facebook?

Dd is away on vacation at the moment, lucky duck, soaking up the sun on the beach in the Dominican, otherwise I would have bombarded her with all these questions.  Ds never goes on his Facebook page and is super busy with work, so that's why you've all been nominated to answer my questions....LOL

Tracey sent me this joke, and I had tears rolling down my face as its so funny.  This would really be me:

(there is the odd word that may not be appropriate for young eyes!! So be warned)

WOMAN'S WEEK AT THE GYM

If you read this without laughing out loud, there is

something wrong with you. This is dedicated to everyone who

ever attempted to get into a regular workout routine



Dear Diary,

For my birthday this year, I purchased a week of personal

training at the local health club.

Although I am still in great shape since being a high

school football cheerleader 43 years ago, I decided it would

be a good idea to go ahead and give it a try.

I called the club and made my reservations with a personal

trainer named Christo, who identified himself as a

26-year-old aerobics instructor and model for athletic

clothing and swim wear.

Friends seemed pleased with my enthusiasm to get started!

The club encouraged me to keep a diary to chart my

progress.

________________________________

MONDAY:

Started my day at 6:00 a.m. Tough to get out of bed, but

found it was well worth it when I arrived at the health club

to find Christo waiting for me. He is something of a Greek

god-- with blond hair, dancing eyes, and a dazzling white

smile. Woo Hoo!!

Christo gave me a tour and showed me the machines.. I

enjoyed watching the skillful way in which he conducted his

aerobics class after my workout today. Very inspiring!

Christo was encouraging as I did my sit-ups, although my

gut was already aching from holding it in the whole time he

was around... This is going to be a FANTASTIC week!!

________________________________

TUESDAY:

I drank a whole pot of coffee, but I finally made it out

the door. Christo made me lie on my back and push a heavy

iron bar into the air then he put weights on it! My legs

were a little wobbly on the treadmill, but I made the full

mile. His rewarding smile made it all worthwhile. I feel

GREAT! It's a whole new life for me.

_______________________________

WEDNESDAY:

The only way I can brush my teeth is by laying the

toothbrush on the counter and moving my mouth back and forth

over it. I believe I have a hernia in both pectorals.

Driving was OK as long as I didn't try to steer or stop. I

parked on top of a GEO in the club parking lot.

Christo was impatient with me, insisting that my screams

bothered other club members. His voice is a little too perky

for that early in the morning and when he scolds, he gets

this nasally whine that is VERY annoying.

My chest hurt when I got on the treadmill, so Christo put

me on the stair monster. Why the hell would anyone invent a

machine to simulate an activity rendered obsolete by

elevators? Christo told me it would help me get in shape and

enjoy life. He said some other shit too.

_______________________________

THURSDAY:

Asshole was waiting for me with his vampire-like teeth

exposed as his thin, cruel lips were pulled back in a full

snarl. I couldn't help being a half an hour late-- it took

me that long to tie my shoes.

He took me to work out with dumbbells. When he was not

looking, I ran and hid in the restroom. He sent some skinny

bitch to find me.

Then, as punishment, he put me on the rowing machine--

which I sank.

_________________________________

FRIDAY:

I hate that bastard Christo more than any human being has

ever hated any other human being in the history of the

world. Stupid, skinny, anemic, anorexic, little aerobic

instructor. If there was a part of my body I could move

without unbearable pain, I would beat him with it.

Christo wanted me to work on my triceps... I don't have any

triceps! And if you don't want dents in the floor, don't

hand me the damn barbells or anything that weighs more than

a sandwich..

The treadmill flung me off and I landed on a health and

nutrition teacher. Why couldn't it have been someone softer,

like the drama coach or the choir director?

________________________________

SATURDAY:

Satan left a message on my answering machine in his

grating, shrilly voice wondering why I did not show up

today. Just hearing his voice made me want to smash the

machine with my planner; however, I lacked the strength to

even use the TV remote and ended up catching eleven straight

hours of the Weather Channel..

________________________________

SUNDAY:

I'm having the Church van pick me up for services today so

I can go and thank GOD that this week is over. I will also

pray that next year my husband will choose a gift for me

that is fun-- like a root canal or a hysterectomy. I still

say if God had wanted me to bend over, he would have

sprinkled the floor with diamonds!!!

Did you remember to put your money in your Daily Saving's Pot Today?

Today's money saving tip:

Want to lose weight, don't eat as much!!  You'll save money right away..........

20 comments:

Tracey said...

It's great isn't it?! I won't go near facebook, all the kids do it though. Someone once said that blogging is facebook for old people....that'll do for me! xxx

Lindsay said...

I joined Facebook about 2 years ago on the insistence of my son - I hated it! I found none of my friends - just youngsters with hideous photos of them at parties etc etc. The whole exercise seems pointless. As you say, if you wish to get in touch with someone there are better means. Then I heard there is a security issue with Facebook and so I deleted my name and details. This was more difficult than it looks at first glance. I gather Facebook have made this easier to do now. Good luck!

softinthehead said...

Gill I saw this joke a while ago and yes I was laughing out load, oh could I relate, I loved the tooth brushing bit LOL. As for Facebook, I must admit I am on it only as a lurker / stalker?! I just joined so I could see what my eldest son is up to over in Europe - in a nice way! But there is a lot of silly stuff and some drivel but I still check it everyday...at least once, so what can I say.
Kim

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

I've been on Facebook for about 2 years now--I joined for kind of the same reasons you did, to look at someone's pictures--The next thing I know, I'm getting friend requests from people I hadn't heard from in years and years, playing Mafia Wars and checking it any chance I got--I was really a "facebook junkie!" Then I discovered blogging and got hooked on that--I still love Facebook, and check it a few times a day to keep up with family and friends. It has cut down on e-mails, but I do still send & get them to keep up with people a bit more closely.

But you can "block" a lot of the junk that's on Facebook if you want because your friend is right, there's a lot of it.

As far as do's and don'ts--I would say be careful about how much information you put on there--Set up your privacy controls to only allow certain people to see your wall, profile, etc. If you don't everyone whose on facebook can see everything you post on your wall, and even see your profile which as you know has some personal info. You can even do this even people that you are "friends with" that you may now know very well. I also only show my birthday to my friends, but I don't show the year, or my e-mail address because those who are "good friends" have it already & if someone else want to get in touch with me, they can send me a message via Facebook...Just a couple of thoughts...Good luck as you venture into Facebook!

Anonymous said...

Facebook stinks. I'm on there and soon discovered ex-partners and former friends are that way for a reason.

Other than that I love it ; )

Lakeland Jo said...

the gym stuff is priceless- loved it.
Facebook. I really like it. I am on an application called Fairyland which is all about growing plants and attracting animals. My aunt and I both love it and we chat on it while we are playing. I am in daily touch with her where-as it was once a weekly phone chat or perhaps an email.
I chat to my pals in the US and can see photos of the teen when he loads them. All in all- I love it. Just be sure you don't become addicted!!

grendelskin said...

I'm not on Facebook but my kids are - they talk to my sisters and nieces more than I do! Lucky for me they are too young to leave the nest, they keep me in touch with the rest of the family!

Anonymous said...

Look for me on facebook ( I love FB) Linda Hartley (Toronto) my current pic shows me with hubby , son and my future daughter in law .Am wearing a pink and black sweater .
Hope to see you there ...I forget your last name so cant add you myself .
Hugs
Linda xxxx(in Norwood )

Chicken Boys said...

OMG, that sounds like my workouts! I really wouldn't mind them acutally, except they are absolutley no fun by myself.
~Randy

CannedAm said...

Facebook is great. So many people I lost track of when I moved away from my hometown! It's so nice to see them all grown up and their kids and such. I'm also able to keep up with my family via pictures & messages. (I have a large large family!) We created a facebook group for descendants of my parents for planning family reunions and sharing genealogy information. There is a lot of annoying spam/junk gifts. I just ignore them. People send you pictures of flowers and bears and angels and while the thought is nice, I'd rather have a personal message instead and have said so. Often with those things you have to add the application -- well, those applications once added have access to your email (the one you used to sign up to facebook.) I suggest you change your email password now because one way or another some unscrupulous facebook application is going to either mail you viruses or highjack your email. If you change your email password that prevents that from happening.

DO NOT post statuses that say anything about "copy and paste this as your status" UGH! those are ubiquitous at this point and quite annoying. I don't need to post it as my facebook status for it to be true that: I love my kids, my parents, want a cure for cancer, wish to raise awareness of this that or the other. It's just more spam and doesn't do any good.

A lot of people farm and fish and whatnot on there. You'll be able to hide those things from your feed by mousing over the upper right-hand corner of them and clicking on hide then choosing to hide that application. Seems to be a new thing I have to hide almost daily.

Don't farm! Don't fish! Some of the games are okay for a brain exercise, but facebook wants to try and make you get everyone to play. Just ignore (skip) those suggestions. The various farm and fish and pet and garden games are just money makers for the game makers and HUGE time wasters for the people who play them. They are endlessly repetitive and tedious. Just trying to save you the time of finding this out for yourself. Took me several months. (augh)

When you get a round tuit, add me to your facebook :)

You know what's next, Gil?

Twitter!

mwahahahaha

Anonymous said...

I love and hate Facebook. Love it because of how I can keep in touch with so many friends and family and share photos / links etc. Hate it because it can get addictive. Do track down old friends - it's really rewarding. Do join groups that interest you - you can get involved in discussions and debates or charities. Don't join groups that require you to click on links or don't really seem to DO much - I suspect many harbour viruses. And don't "friend" people you don't know - at first it's nice that so many people seem interested in you - but most just want to sell you stuff. Make good use of the privacy settings too - protect everything to "just friends". Have fun!!

Cathi said...

That joke cracked me up. I was laughing out loud!
I'm really curious to hear what you think of Facebook. I joined it and then swiftly decided it wasn't for me -- too many security issues.

Kadeeae said...

Great minds . . . or silly ones depending on your view I suppose, lol.

Just last week I started a FB page for the blog (I really didn't want a 'personal' page). I've ticked the box to leave it unseen at least for now. I'm trying to decide whether I honestly need yet another online distraction in my life :-( I already use Twitter to get into quick contact with anyone I want to and then there is email, snail mail, blogs, and even free phone calls if you use Skype on your computer . . . so I'm just not certain yet.

I do know that there are some security issues with FB and it's important to check your preferences and set the security levels to something YOU are happy with. Suppose it's like most anything on the internet, keep safe and don't say/post anything you wouldn't want a stranger you pass in the street to know!

Patty said...

LOL, I joined Facebook to see what our kids and Grandkids are doing. But it's very confusing for someone as old as me. I do like to play some of the games they offer. Happy week-end, it's just around the coner, so is March 1.

Prairie Farmstead Ponderings said...

Nope! Not here! I haven't given in to Facebook yet. I hope your experiences with it are only good!

Karine said...

Hi there Gill!

I'm on Facebook and have been for years. The best thing about it is being able to get back in touch with people you lost track of and being bale to keep up with your friends and family more easily. The worst part about it is that yes, there is a lot of crap on there and you don't even have to touch it to get bombarded with it. For example, I am not a member of Farmville, nor am I interested in being a member of it, but I still get messages from all of my friends who are on Farmville on my wall telling me that they have found an abandoned critter of some sort on their 'farm' and that they want to give it to me so I can start my own 'farm'. Nothing to be done about that really, all you can do is ignore them.

Mary said...

I joined Facebook, too and immediately decided I hated it. I agree with the one you mentioned about your page being filled up with messaages about people playing silly games and sending gifts...no interest in any of that! Blogging is so much more fun and email more useful. Love the joke you posted!

chksnowqueen said...

Hi Gill,

I am on Facebook as well and enjoy it for being able to see and share photos with my family. It also allows me to pass on news to everyone at once, rather like your blog. I hear about what is going on in everyone's life moreso than if I was not on Facebook, as people share their thoughts and daily tinkerings on a regular basis.

Someone mentioned that you can hide the announcements from people's games and such and I encourage you to do so, as those posts really clutter up the page and can drive you batty. Agreed that you don't want to start the gardening, farming, and whatever applications as they are HUGE time wasters.

Really though, I enjoy playing Scrabble and word games with my sister. It takes me back to playing board games with her when we were kids.

Christine

DeniseinVA said...

Great joke, I think I have seen it before but not for a long while. I belong to Facebook because my son is on there and was putting all his photos on there too. That's the only reason I joined up. I am not a big fan but there are a lot of people on there that I know. Some of them are into all the games on there, not me. Like you I prefer e-mail.

Toria said...

I got forced to join facebook by a woman at work - she loves all of those timewasting games on it & got me to join solely to support her in some contest where the person with the most people joined on their side won. Lots of people I know are on it, I get occasional friend requests, I log in, accept them & then shut the window down again. I really don't get the attraction.

I should log in & see how many notifications I have waiting for all of those games & stuff. I did try to respond at first, but it took up so much of my time that I just ignore them now.

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...