I was in the shower on Sunday morning when it dawned on me that Monday (today) was the last day of August???? Where has the summer gone too? Now technically for us, Summer can last until mid-October as September can be really nice.
I find that now hubby has retired one day passes into another, as we don't have "work" days and day's of leisure/weekend. So unless I actually look at the calendar I never know what the date is. I generally still remember what day it is....so I guess that's helpful....LOL
I had an "experience" the other day at Shopper's Drug Mart that made me truly realize how lucky hubby and I are. It was "senior's day" at Shopper's where everyone over the age of 55 could get a 20% discount on regular priced items. I went in to pick up some stuff and cash in some points as it was bonus redemption as well. In my case I cashed in 50k in points and got $70 worth of products free.
Anyhow, I was cashing out and it was a small counter. Up marched this guy with a cart and proceeded to plop all his stuff on the counter and walked off. A woman quickly came to the counter (his wife) and handed the cashier her card. At this point I hadn't even paid; something she didn't know. The cashier told her she hadn't finished with me, and of course the lady apologized as she didn't realize what had happened.
I said no worries, but feel free to pay for my order. We all laughed and she said, "luckily it's pay day for us all and we can afford to pay for all our things."
I had to think for a minute what she was on about and then I realized it was the day seniors (including us) got their pensions paid by the Government. Shopper's Drug Mart does this promotion every month to coincide with when the Government pays the State pensions; again it hadn't dawned on me why they did it.
It made me realize that we are so lucky to not have to rely on the State pensions to make ends meet. That must be so frightening to know you can't go out and buy the basic needs until your pension comes in.
I was telling my daughter in law the story and she was telling me she is part of a mum's group on Facebook and some mothers post that they need certain items because their monthly baby/child allowance hasn't come in, or asking others if their baby/child allowance has hit the bank yet as they need it to buy basics.
So feeling very grateful today to be able to pay the bills and have a roof over our head and food on the table............
No comments:
Post a Comment