We woke up on Saturday to a very over cast day, with a forecast of rain on and off all weekend. So to my mind it was a soup day! The one thing I enjoy about making soup is that it's a great way of using stuff up in your fridge and pantry.
So the first thing I did was gather and chop everything up. As you can see it's a mix of fresh, canned and packaged items.
I found this package of 5 grain mix, so figured that would add fibre to the soup.More importantly all the grains were pre cooked, so one step less for me.
Then my mother brought over this box of 4 cup of soup's from the UK this summer.
Cup of Soup is a favourite amongst the British and my mother usually has a cup with a sandwich at lunch time. My brother swears this is as good as the canned version. We tried it but found it way too sweet for us.
So my stock for this soup was the package of onion soup mix, and the cup of soup mixed in with boiling water. Due to the salt content in the soup mixes and the canned tomatoes, I did not have to add more salt. I also added a no salt spice mix and some some minced garlic to the ingredients.
I softened the fresh veggies in a little olive oil and butter, then added everything else and cooked until it was ready. I let it simmer for an hour or so and this is what it looked like:
It was good, but was missing something. I had some at lunch time. Then at supper time, I decided to add a can of coconut milk, and it was SO GOOD. That was the missing something. It reminded me of a beef barley soup without the beef!Do you like soup? I like a thicker, creamier soup.






No comments:
Post a Comment