Thursday, September 17, 2026

Handkerchief......

 Now that's a word you don't seen used very often nowadays, do you?

It used to be a standard gift for men at Christmas.  Remember getting your dad or grandad them with his initial on them?  My nana always had a cloth hankie up her sleeve or tucked into her waistband of her skirt.  She always used to spit on it, to wipe your face...icky I know!!! 🤣🤣  Now I use the dish cloth on my grand kids!!

The other day I was doing laundry and I pulled one out of the dryer.  Was surprised to see it, and it was one of hubby's.  He had tucked it into his pocket when golfing..........yes I know I didn't check his pockets before throwing his trousers in the wash!!

So as it is cloth, I had to iron it:


Honestly I didn't realize we still had cloth hankies in the house.

Is that something you use or have in your home?






9 comments:

Anne in the kitchen said...

TheHub has quite a few, and I have several. Whenever I carry an evening bag I have one tucked in it.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I have dozens of them. I buy them in charity shops, the little presentation boxes which we bought for our grannies, back in the day, and they kept them in a drawer for best and never used them. Sadly they end up, unused, in charity shops. I put a fresh one in my pocket every day. I enjoy using them, I even enjoy ironing them.
Barbara.

Scarlet said...

My husband still uses cloth handkies. Some of them are years old but they are very soft, unlike tissues.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

We don't use them but my dad certainly did when he lived with us. Very gross to have to wash them!

My Piece of Earth said...

I don't use a handkerchief. My Mother used them all the time and I kept them, some are new, others that she had used. I plan on using them to make a quilt, as they have beautiful embroidery and designs on them.

Jackie said...

Haven't had one of those in years, but I do remember the spit on and wipe face thing.

God bless.

Sharon said...

Your post brings back great memories.

angela said...

My hubby prefers hankies. And yes I find them in the pockets too.
He’s old enough and ugly enough to empty them before putting them in the hamper.
Actually it took me a few years just to get him to put clothes in the hamper rather than just in its vicinity.
Baby steps I guess

Barbara said...

My son actually has a few and uses them. He’s 36!

Backstreet Boys..............

Do you remember the Backstreet Boys? Here's a song to jog your memory, this is one of my favourites of theirs: Well this past week my l...