Thursday, September 24, 2026

Canadian Museum of History (Photo Heavy!)

 This post contains 19 photos, just a heads up!!

The first full day in Ottawa we walked over to the Canadian Museum of History which is over the bridge in Gatineau, Quebec.  Took us probably 35 to 40 minutes to walk there.  It was a glorious day, so a very enjoyable walk.


Canada Post had a display of all the stamps issued since 1851.  Below is a bust of Sir Sandford Fleming who designed the first stamp.  I could not take a photo in this exhibit with a glare from the lights.

Stamps issued the year I was born.
Notice how the bottom left one, is both 7 and 8 cent stamp........


In the main hall there were many totem poles.  They were super tall and all we flat on the back side.  I just assumed they would all be round?



This was neat to see and again it was huge. Must have weighed a ton weight.

You can read more about the artist here.


Right across the road from the museum was Bobino Bagel.  They were so good, and the soup was the best soup I have had in a while.  It was supposed to be pumpkin soup, but honestly I thought it was corn?
They made their own bagels in house.

Would I go to the museum again...........no.  We enjoyed the postage stamp collection, which surprised both of us, as I don't have a lot of interest in that sort of thing normally, but this exhibition was interesting.

The museum is super heavy on indigenous history and artifacts.  The French and British have a lot to answer for on their treatment of indigenous people.  I think as we were brought up in the UK, we did not learn a lot about Canadian history, so I for one didn't fully understand everything that happened.  Not everyone has the same interest in all things.  You'll see more of what I am talking about in future posts, especially the one about the National Art Gallery of Canada.

Am I glad I went, yes.  I did feel though that they need clearer directions on what direction you should go around in all exhibits.  Also a paper guide book would be super helpful.

No comments:

Canadian Museum of History (Photo Heavy!)

 This post contains 19 photos, just a heads up!! The first full day in Ottawa we walked over to the Canadian Museum of History which is ove...