Friday, June 26, 2015

Can't wait to see what your comments are today.....

Every week, the Toronto Life magazine/website posts in their real estate section, Home/Cottage/Condo of the week.  Not every week; I in turn post about them on here.

So my question is when you hear the word cottage what do you envision?

Why am I asking this?  This week's "Cottage of the Week," to my mind is NOT a cottage.  Not only is it an island, which is fine, but it has a price tag of $12 million.  My idea of a cottage is somewhere small, cozy and a place you can relax, without worrying that you may or may not disturb or make a mark on the designer decor.

The "Home of the Week," is pricey at $5.8 million, but according to one of the comments on the post, it's the going rate.  When I was looking at the photos I kept thinking there was something missing, it wasn't until I got to the end I realized what....painting's, there is nothing hanging on the walls.  One of the closets is full of clothes so someone must live there?

On a side note.  Our daughter and son-in-law got married at the Golf and Country Club that this house backs onto.  Nice area, close to the city, so that's why the price is what it is.

The "Condo of the Week," is on the market for $700,000.  It's okay but doesn't show well, as it looks cluttered to me and I am not a huge fan of that sort of duct work being exposed, but that is just me.  The outdoor terrace is nice though, but if that a/c unit is noisy it won't be a great area to sit.

I spent a great couple of hours at The Knitting Basket, helping Angie out with a couple of things with her blog and Facebook page.  Pop by and say hello if you have a minute.  I love the shawl pattern she posted on there.  That yarn she is featuring would be lovely knit in it.  But NO I WILL NOT BUY ANY MORE YARN UNTIL I FINISH SOMETHING!!!!  The two balls I picked up on Thursday while there don't count do they???

15 comments:

Cat Lover said...

Incredible what is called a cottage today! A cottage to me is a couple of bedrooms, one bathroom,small kitchen and if you are lucky a T.V..I want to be spending time outside not inside so the interior of the cottage is not that important.
Glad you had a nice time at The Knitting Basket.

Jane and Chris said...

Who the heck buys these places?!
Jane x

Jenn Jilks said...

The realtors have certain terminology. This simply means it isn't a city house. It's in cottage country. We had the same thing when we sold our home in cottage country. It's nothing to do with size, but location. It's a lifestyle, too. We lived there 4 years, but it was in my family for 50.

(ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

Paula said...

Wow, that cottage is ugly. It's also the size of 8 1/2 of my house! That's a place for entertaining. For inviting friends and family to escape the city.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Ok, that is NOT a cottage! There is nothing about it that is cottage-like. I have a cottage -- you know, slipcovered furniture, slouchy throw pillows, cozy. I do like the home of the week a LOT- too large for us and too expensive but I still like it. I could cozy up to the condo too. But that is not a cottage!

Unknown said...

In my neck of the woods a cottage is pretty basic....It's usually called a cottage if it's at a lake, and a cabin if it's in the woods.
I like the yellow and blue yarn together...looks nautical to me. I may try the shawl pattern, I like the simplicity of it.

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

That is certainly not my idea of a cottage!

Wisewebwoman said...

Conspicuous consumption comes to mind indeed. I contrast this with another blogger who posts about all the "unwanteds" escaping from horrific conditions in their home countries in the middle East and being refused admission in more stable countries.

As to your Grand - she is adorable, what joy they are. I watched mine grow up, she's now 20 and still the beat of my heart.

Stash, what stash, oh Gill I have a whole room designated for stash, lucky me. I will post pics of my current sofa blanket (afghan) soon, it's nearly finished.

Love your new stash.

XO
WWW

Little Red Hen said...

You won't buy more yarn until something is finished? If I had a dime for every time I said that, I could afford that "cottage"

Anne in the kitchen said...

The cottage is gigantic and the house is incredibly large unless you have balls on a regular basis and then it would do nicely. I personally loved the condo though. I thought it was very livable and inviting for condo living.

William Kendall said...

That is not a cottage, and those realtors are a huge part of the problem in driving up prices, getting themselves richer, and making actual home purchasing far less likely for many people.

Country Gal said...

Ugly monstrosities to me . I prefer a small cozy cottage or home in the country as for city living YUK ! We don't like concrete jungles . Thanks for sharing though , Have a good weekend !

Rose said...

Just now sitting down to blog a bit...have been lazy all day. It just dawned on me I had wanted to visit your blog virst thing. I will say I think some people have more money than they have sense! I just did not care for the cottage much at all. For that price, I don't know what I expected, but not that. I did like the house, but it was little bit too white for me. I loved the back view of it! I thought the condo at least seemed like someone's home. Didn't care for some of the clutter, but some I liked. LOL

Rose said...

Just now read Little Red Hen's comment...I could buy a lot if I had a dollar for every time I said I am not going to buy any more fabric!

Jackie said...

Nope, don't count (says the yarn a holic).

God bless.

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...