Thursday, June 4, 2015

A job that would be better in the winter rather than the summer....

Got my sewing machine out on Wednesday.  Had to make 300 inches of binding to put on Our Little Munchkin's quilt.
Going to have to give the shop a call, as now my on/off button doesn't turn off on the sewing machine?  So I have to unplug it to turn it off.  It worked before it went in for repair.

Now as to what the title of the post is about.  After sewing the binding on the front of the quilt, it is all to hand sew to the back of the quilt.
In the winter this is a cozy job, having a large quilt sat on your lap and over your legs.  When it's warm out it does tend to get a little warm!!!  This is the hardest part of the quilt for me, as hand sewing kills my hands.

I bought some more yarn at The Knitting Basket, as Angie had a table full of yarn on sale for $3 a ball.  You couldn't go wrong with that price.  So I started to knit a dishcloth to add to my stash.  Not too taxing on the brain and it doesn't involve that Magic Loop thingy!!
By the way will be pulling out what I have done so far as there is a mistake in it!!  Nothing exciting, but I can see it, and if I can see it, everyone else will be able too.

19 comments:

mamasmercantile said...

I am a great fan of handcrafted washcloths, I crochet mine, top them with a handmade soap and use them for gifts. They always seem to be well received. Love the colour of the yarn you are using for yours.

Joy said...

What beautiful quilting! Very impressed.
J x

The Cranky said...

Everyone is hardest on themselves, betcha it wouldn't bug anyone else!

I agree, that kind of sewing is best done in winter; still, it's looking marvelous.

EG CameraGirl said...

You must be pleased that the quilt binding is partially done. Hopefully the weather won't be too hot for a while yet. Nice colour for dishcloths.

Boopnut said...

My husband still has a shirt waiting for a button! If it is just a dishcloth, I would leave the mistake in.
Deb

Anonymous said...

The dishes won't mind the mistake, they can't see it. And no one will see it driving by in a taxi. Love the quilt. You'll have to show us the completed look when your hand work is finished. Bess from MA

Linda aka Crafty Gardener said...

I love no brainer patterns for when watching tv or sitting outside. I'm like you and if I see a mistake I'll have to take it out even though hubby says he can't see it ... but what does he know about knitting??? not too much :)

Cat Lover said...

I love hand knitted dishcloths too. My Mom knits a couple a week so we all have a good supply of them. I find they clean better than regular dishcloths. The quilt is gorgeous!

Plowing Through Life (Martha) said...

It is a beautiful quilt!

Scrappy quilter said...

Sorry to hear about your machine. That has got to be annoying. That wool is wonderful. I absolutely love the Colorado. I am like you. If there is a mistake I undo it. Hugs.

Betsy said...

I'm like you...a mistake? It has to come out even if no one else will notice. The quilt is beautiful, but can imagine how warm it would be to be handstitiching it on your lap. Please show us a picture when you're done.
Blessings,
Betsy

Debby said...

LOVE your quilt!!!!

Tiny Toadstool Cottage said...

The quilt looks lovely! You'll have to show it to us when you are finished. Winter here so I am enjoying some hand quilting to keep warm!
How frustrating to send a machine for repair and have it come back more broken!

Rose said...

If I were there, I would do the hand sewing for you. Love doing it. I am wondering what they will say about your machine...hope you can just take it in and them fix it there while you wait.

Can't see the mistake, but will say that is a beautiful color yarn!

Helen Philipps said...

Lovely quilt, and lovely yarn! I agree, sewing a quilt is a lovely thing to do in winter, so cosy.....but can get a bit warm in the summer. Hope you can get your machine fixed easily.
Helen xox

barbara woods said...

My hands to the same, i have been hemming on a twin for tonight will make 3 days

William Kendall said...

Pulling out a mistake- that's the sort of thing my mother would have done!

Jenn Jilks said...

Oh, no! Nothing is simple, is it?!

Unknown said...

I love knitting squares with random pieces of yarn for blankets or for dishcloths - they make great face clothes too, really exfoliating which suits me!

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...