Thursday, June 17, 2010

They smell so good............

I went to visit a friend and her husband on Wednesday morning as it was pouring down and I had to run a couple of errands in town.  She had been strawberry picking the day before and was kind enough to give me a container of strawberries.  There is nothing better than local picked strawberries.  They smell so much better than the imported strawberries. I can't wait to eat them.


While I was in town I had to get the recipe book order forms photocopied.  It cost 59 cents per copy for a colour copy.  Can you believe that, I was shocked. I didn't have to pay for it, the church has an account, but due to the high cost I only got 50 copies, as that was was over $25 for those. 

In the afternoon between the showers I managed to plant the 10 emerald cedars.  Which is another big job crossed off my list.  Must say though I was pooped after I had done that. 

One of the big news stories in our area is the G8 and G20 summits that are being held in Huntsville and Toronto  It is costing the taxpayers of Canada millions and millions of dollars, disrupting businesses and people alike.  Downtown Toronto will be coming to a virtual standstill while the G20 is on.  It has cost us taxpayers $1.9 million to build a "fake lake" in the middle of the Convention Centre, to give the summit goers an idea of what Muskoka looks like?????  I am sure you could take them all on a day trip on a bus and show them what it all looks like for a lot less!!!  Oh and the latest security threat, they're uprooting trees downtown as they could be used as weapons!!!  For more crazy stories about these summits check out this link

10 comments:

Tracey said...

The money that is wasted on these sodding politicians is criminal! As is the cost of those photo copies!!xxx

Stephanie D said...

I was just thinking those would have to be some mighty big holes for the trees and were you going to do them all yourself! Guess that answered my question. No wonder you were pooped!

MyBulletinBoard said...

A fake lake!!! Crazy. Guess they do the same things in D.C. and NYC. Loony tunes.

Stella Jones said...

Your strawberries look delicious Gill. That's what we are having for lunch today, too.
Isn't it scandalous what is spent on these conventions. Unbelievable.

Stephanie V said...

Yes! Fresh, local strawberries are wonderful. I just had my first yesterday. I think that I appreciate them more now as I get older. Wonder why that is?

DeniseinVA said...

Same the world over I think. I agree, nothing better than fresh picked strawberries.

An English Girl Rambles

Sandra said...

I think I can actually smell those strawberries:)) I bet they were jummy.

It hurts my head to think of how much money is spent on politics with no results. Building a fake lake when there are millions of people without drinkable water is simply criminal. Uprooting the trees? I hope some environmentalist chain themselves to them... Human's stupidity really has no limits:(((

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

You are so right about the strawberries Gill!! I would really like to plant some, but haven't yet--Then at the same time I feel like I'm supporting the farmers by not doing it--How's that as an excuse?? I wish they had a better excuse about how they're spending your hard earned tax dollars, that's just crazy--And I know about crazy, as you know I live around Washington DC!

Winifred said...

Am I thick? How are trees used as weapons?

Don't see the point of all that waste. Just imagine how much the 2012 Olympics are going to cost and then they want to host The World Cup!!!!

Never mind just enjoy those delicious strawberries. I have a few in the garden and they're ripening. I don't think I'll get to taste them as my granddaughter was doing a recce of them this after noon!

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

Strawberries are my favourite summer fruit and I adore the smell of them. Those in your picture look delicious. A x

Hotel Stay

First of all thank you for all your birthday wishes.  Each and every one of them was greatly appreciated.  The kids bought me/us an overnigh...