Sunday, June 13, 2010

oo ee oo ah ah ting tang walla walla bing bang!

I haven't heard this song in a long time: oo ee oo ah ah ting tang walla walla bing bang


The original song was performed in 1958 by David Seville and here is a link to that one.


Then there is Sheb Wooley's "Purple People Eater."
Both these songs were brought back to "life" by Alvin and Chipmunks.


This is what is sitting in my window sill at the moment, they are actually past their best, but still a lovely sight.


Next Saturday I have to bake a pie to sell at the Church Strawberry Supper, so as I have enough rhubarb to sink a ship I decided to try a Rhubarb Crumble Pie recipe on Saturday, to see if it would be a good pie to make.

I can't find where I got the original recipe from.  I have changed it slightly, and luckily I saved it on Word!!

Rhubarb Crumble Pie


This rhubarb pie is topped with a buttery spiced oat crumb mixture. Serve with a scoop of ice cream for a perfect summer dessert.


Ingredients:


• 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell


• 1 1/2 pounds rhubarb stalks


• 1/3 cup water


• 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour


• 3/4 cup sugar


• Few drops red food coloring, optional


• .


• Topping:


• 1/4 cup butter, room temperature


• 1/2 cup granulated sugar


• 1/2 cup all-purpose flour


• 1/3 cup old-fashioned rolled oats


• 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon


Preparation:


Heat oven to 400°F. Prepare pie shell or thaw a frozen pie shell.


Trim and rinse the rhubarb stalks. Slice large stalks in half lengthwise. Slice rhubarb stalks crosswise in 1/2 to 1-inch lengths. Combine sliced rhubarb and water in a medium saucepan. In a small bowl, combine 3 tablespoons flour and 3/4 cup sugar, stirring until well blended; add to the rhubarb mixture. Stir well and bring just to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low. Cover but leave the cover ajar to let steam escape and continue simmering for about 5 minutes, or just until tender. If desired, add a little red food coloring to make the filling more colorful. Spoon filling into the prepared pie shell.


With a pastry blender or fingers, combine the topping ingredients until blended and crumbly. Sprinkle over the top of the pie. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until topping is browned and the filling is bubbly.

Now a couple of tips.  Make sure you put the pie on a tin foil lined cookie tray as it will boil over!!! 1 1/2 lbs of rhubarb is around 6 cups.  When cooking the rhubarb, watch it carefully as it sticks to the bottom of the pan and burns........ask me how I know!!

This recipe is a keeper the rhubarb is tart and the topping is sweet, a lovely combination and I will make it for the Church Strawberry Supper next Saturday.

6 comments:

that british woman s brother said...

crumble looks good - but would be better with a large helping of custard takes me back to school dinners - semolina and of course frogspawn(tapioca)
and that takes me back to our childhood and all the fun we used to have finding frogs and hiding them for you in your bedroom and the good hidings i used to get for it - o the good old days -
nick ..........

MyBulletinBoard said...

So you love classical music, huh? You should see the look on my geek son's face when I played the Chipmunks version of the Purple People Eater. This wasn't what I thought I'd be doing at 3 AM!!! See what you've started?!?!

What is a strawberry supper?

Liz, The Republic

BadPenny said...

You are right Gill you have got me singing ! I'm putting another song up later tonight .. soon we will have the whole of Blogland singing !

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

I love rhubarb so shall make a note of this recipe Gill - thanks. It looks and sounds delicious. A x

Lori said...

chitty chitty bang bang?? Thanks for the recipe, I will pick some rhubarb and try it!

Rosa Robichaud said...

Here's my recipe for (easy smeasy) Rhubarb cake:

http://les3a.no-ip.com/rosa/recipes/rhubarbcake.htm

Kids LOVE to make this and HEY!!! No spoons or bowls are required! That's MY kind of recipe! LOL

Rosa Robichaud
Saint John, New Brunswick
Canada

Hotel Stay

First of all thank you for all your birthday wishes.  Each and every one of them was greatly appreciated.  The kids bought me/us an overnigh...