Tuesday, December 18, 2012

What do you think these are?


They do look good; but we might not like the taste as it's called Bird Breakfast and are "cakes" for the birdies.  The recipe is from the "Company's Coming, Gifts from the Kitchen," book and here is the recipe:

Bird Breakfast

1 1/2 cups quick cooking rolled oats (not instant)
2 cups boiling water
1/2 cup chunky peanut butter (no salt, no sugar)
3/4 cup suet, vegetable shortening, I used lard
1/2 cup commercial bird seed
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup cream of wheat cereal, I left this out as I didn't have any
1/3 cup chopped dried cranberries, I used fresh

Cook rolled oats in boiling water in large saucepan for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until very thick.  Remove from heat.

Stir in peanut butter and suet until melted.  Stir in remaining ingredients.  When cool enough to handle shape into patties and place on ungreased baking sheet and freeze until hard.


When frozen store in a freezer bag and remove as many as needed.

I decided to mold them into mini cup cakes and I also had enough left over to put into the bottom of a couple of yogurt pots.  I added some more nuts I had in the house that needed to be used up and extra cranberries. Simple idea if you ask me.



Dd is getting both us and her in-laws restaurant gift cards for Christmas.  We requested it and I think so did her in-laws.  So to "fancy" them up a bit she made custom gift card covers for them.  I thought I'd share:

By the way I have no idea if these are ours or the in-laws ones?

Another classic Christmas song:


10 comments:

bonsaimum said...

The bird cakes look good. Think I'll try them for my feathered friends. :)

Cindy@NorthofWiarton said...

Never mind the birds, they do look good ! Spoiled birds you have there Gill.

Em Parkinson said...

Hi Gill,

lovely to hear from you on my blog....I've seen your name on Cindy's and John Grey's and wondered where you live and now I know. our recipe is very like my bird porridge but a bit more special. I sometimes add some coconut as well. We call our house the Money Pit too!

Fran said...

Wow, if that's what the birds get I am definitely coming over for tea!!!

Linda said...

Good recipe for bird cakes. I've got a couple of recipes I use and one is very similar to this one. In fact I have it scheduled to appear on the blog soon. Good idea using muffin tins. I rolled my last lot by hand and it was a bit messy.

Jane and Chris said...

Remind me never to eat muffins at your house!!
Jane x

DeniseinVA said...

What a great idea!

Sue said...

Those bird cakes look good enough to eat....for me I mean not the birds, but I'll let them have them this time!!

Sue xx

Rose said...

I need to remember this...and need to tell my daughter about it.

Debby said...

Glad you made it clean that the cakes are for the birds, they look so darn good. BTW you are one of the blog candy winners, I need your address to get it in the mail! CONGRATS

Hotel Stay - Dinner

As part of our hotel stay the kids had booked us dinner, breakfast and afternoon tea. Here is what we ate at dinner.  Everything was spot on...