Sunday, December 2, 2012

Grocery Shopping and other things...

Went grocery shopping on Friday and got this little lot:
I paid $64.90 for that lot; must admit it doesn't look a lot for the amount of money spent?  I used $8.50 in coupons.  Bought the three 4 litre bags of milk as they were on for $3.99 a bag and it's the "fancy" milk with a longer expiry date; it being December 23rd.  They are normally $6 + a bag; even regular milk is around the $4.50 a bag, so this was a super deal, no need to buy milk for the next three weeks.  Best deal, I guess was the Egg Creations on the right of the photo, were on for $1.50 each and had $1 coupons.  They're good when making quiches.   All the Pillsbury items were on for $2 had a 50 cent off coupon's for everyone, so paid $1.50 each.  The cinnamon rolls we'll have Christmas morning for breakfast.  I like their biscuits for this recipe and the cookies come in handy when you have unexpected visitors this time of year.

When I am in the other town this week, I want to pick up paper towels in Zehrs as its on sale for $3.99 a six pack, but am waiting until I have to go there later in the week.  I am also hoping the $5 Zehrs gift card will arrive this coming week, so I can use that along with a $1 coupon so I can keep my grocery shopping total under $75.  I would have price matched with No Frills but they didn't have the six pack in stock.  Managed to pay only $1.179 a litre on Friday for gas for the car, which was the lowest I have seen it in a while.

On Friday night we had something for supper I haven't had in years, mince/ground beef on toast.  You know when you make mince and gravy with veggies for a shepherd's pie, well instead of putting potatoes on top we just put the meat mixture over slices of toast that had been buttered.  It was so good and easy, plus it was a great way of using up the ends of bread and dry bread.  Reminded me of when I lived at home with my parents, as that was something my mam used to make.

This Christmas song is also one of the most requested Christmas songs on the radio.  Make sure you listen to all the words:


12 comments:

Fishcake_random said...

Hi Gill,
Thanks for reading my blog :) I look forward to reading your posts and getting to know you better.

x x x

bonsaimum said...

What a beautiful song.:)

Jane and Chris said...

Looks like the shoe store we went to.
Jane x

Mysti said...

That song makes me cry...I can't listen to it.

The Witch said...

Gill,
This song makes me cry every time.
Good reason I could never go to a Christmas concert if I new they were going to sing this song.
Great bargains on your shopping.

Linda said...

Good deals on your shopping. I do lots of price matching and you can really save a lot of money that way. Our gas has been that price for a few weeks now. I keep hanging on to fill up and will do it soon before the price increase for Christmas (which always happens). I buy my gas at Shell and they take air miles, and that gave me a $10 saving on my last fill up. I shop at Walmart (don't know if you have one by you) and use their credit card (paid off each month) as you get cash back on every purchase. It is nice to got to the cashier and see you have $$$ to take off your shopping bill.

Anonymous said...

This is such a beautiful Christmas song. It makes me cry every time. Bess

tlcukjourney said...

I have to say I have never had mince meat on toast, I do love turkey and gravy on toast after Thanksgiving though!!

Cash Only Living said...

I love reading your blog, especially when you talk about food. It brings back memories of things my English grandmother used to cook. I hadn't thought about meat and gravy over toast in ages! Yum!

onesimplefarmgirl2 said...

Great job on the groceries. I am finding the prices have jumped this month, or perhaps there are little in the way of specials?

Hawaii Planner said...

That's pretty much what I can buy for the same price, save for things like shampoo. I can usually do pretty well at the drugstore & get it for less than $1 or so. As long as you're not terribly picky about brand.

Never tried the beef on toast, but we used to do a chipped beef on toast. There were some lean years growing up, & my mom would cut up that super inexpensive lunch meat (it's now like $.50/bag) & serve it with a sauce/gravy over toast. Memories!

Rose said...

I always like reading your grocery shopping ventures...I wonder if that says I lead a boring life. Actually, I just think it is a neighborly thing to talk about.

And I showed Roger the recipe and now we have to try it...looks yummy.

Hotel Stay - Dinner

As part of our hotel stay the kids had booked us dinner, breakfast and afternoon tea. Here is what we ate at dinner.  Everything was spot on...