Wednesday, December 19, 2012

A recipe and my knitting

Another cookie recipe I decided to try on Tuesday:

Butter and Jam Thumbprints

Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups all-purpose/plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup butter
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/2 vanilla bean, seeds scraped from pod, or 1/8 tsp vanilla bean paste or 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/3 raspberry, cherry or strawberry jam

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 oF.  Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.

Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl.

In another bowl, whip the butter and the sugar with a hand-held mixer until fluffy, about 5 minutes.  Beat in the egg and vanilla until just combined.  Slowly beat in the dry ingredients in 2 additions, mixing just incorporated.

Scoop the dough into 1-inch balls.  Place about 2-inches apart on the prepared baking sheets.  Press thumbprint into the centre of each ball, about 1/2-inch deep.  Fill each indentation with 3/4 teaspoon jam.

Bake cookies until the edges are golden, about 15 minutes.  For even colour, rotate the pans from top to bottom about halfway through baking.  

Makes 24 to 30 cookies 

***TIP: I made the dough the day before and kept it in the fridge.  Took it out of fridge about an hour before I needed it and cut the dough up into 30 pieces, then rolled them into balls.


I mentioned last week I was knitting a scarf.  Well this is how much I have done so far.  Must say any idiot can do it, as even I have managed to do this.  Have to say though I am struggling to keep tabs on my seven stitches!!!!  Managed to drop some, lose some and find some.  Goodness knows what I would be like with more stitches!!!
The good thing about this, its very forgiving!!!

Today's Christmas song:

5 comments:

Cindy@NorthofWiarton said...

Gill these look awesome; good way to use up jam in the fridge too !

Dc said...

Regarding your knitting, I think your problems are more to do with the yarn you are using. I find anything too fancy a nightmare to knit with. Like you, I am not a fantastic knitter and take forever to complete things.

Jane and Chris said...

My scarf is knitting up well..it IS forgiving!
Jane x

~Carla~ said...

Cookies look amazing & that yarn is gorgeous!!

Rose said...

Your scarf makes me want to learn to knit!

Hotel Stay - Dinner

As part of our hotel stay the kids had booked us dinner, breakfast and afternoon tea. Here is what we ate at dinner.  Everything was spot on...