Saturday, December 29, 2012

Allergies, grocery shopping and knitting....

I have been suffering with allergies for the past couple of weeks.  I am ready to pull off my nose and the only thing I can think that is causing them are the Poinsettia's I have in the house.  I keep forgetting to buy some allergy pills, but on Thursday I found some Benedryl pills in the back of the cupboard and they weren't expired.  I took a couple around 5 pm on Thursday, by 6:30 pm I felt terrible.  I had all the symptoms of a migraine, but I had no headache.  I could barely keep my eyes open, so went to bed at 6:30 pm.  I slept right through until 6 am.  All day on Friday I was about as much use as a chocolate fireguard!!!  

I went grocery shopping and honestly don't remember how I managed, as I felt so dopey.  I did cash in my points at Shopper's Drug Mart and stocked up on dh's Glucosamine and Chondroitin and now have a six month supply.  So instead of paying $110.49, I only paid $10.49.  I popped into Zehrs and thought I'd pick a few things up and ended up spending $71.94.  Mind you nearly $20 of that was allergy pills.  My final stop was Sobey's where I got my best deals.  Cheese Whiz was on sale on Friday for $2.49 - $1.50 coupon, so only 99 cents.  Spent $9.95 there, so all in all spent $92.38.  I have $20 worth of gift cards for Canadian Tire, so am planning on picking up Maxwell House ground coffee which they have on special Saturday and Sunday for $6.97 a can.  If I can get three cans that will last us six months and only cost me 91 cents when I cash in my gift cards.  So I am at least $20 over my weekly budget this week.........

I am going to work on my lists of things to do and goals this weekend, so I am all ready for the New Year.  I have been putting my silver change into my sealed pot and any spare loonies and toonies are going into another pot ready for gardening season.

Have you made any plans for 2013 yet?

Here is the scarf I am knitting at the moment.

Had a question for anyone who knits.  Do you have something you put on the end of your needles when you put your knitting down so the loops don't come off?

Finally a photo looking north of our property, lots of snow.

18 comments:

Toria said...

Sometimes I use an old cork (from a wine bottle), sometimes I just loop a rubber band around the ends a few times.

j udy said...

I am working with that same yarn and it makes me want to scream. I do have one fancy set of caps that go on the end of my needles that someone gave me last year but for the most part I use those erasers that go over the top of pencils. They work great.

I find this yarn is really slippery!!!

Fran said...

I hope you sort out your nose soon, you really wouldn't look so pretty without it! That scarf is lovely xxx

Cindy@NorthofWiarton said...

Allergies are nasty business, as I suffer daily with them. You sure have been doing well in the knitting dept.

Cath said...

LOL, I tend to pull the stitches down to the "knob" end so they don't fall off , but a blob of blu tack would do the job .X

Em Parkinson said...

Allergies are hell and unless you have them, there's no way of understanding what it feels like to have a pepper grinder up each nostril. Hope you feel better soon!

Andi's English Attic said...

I stick my needles in the ball of wool.
Hope you feel better soon. xx

Jane and Chris said...

I stick the needles in the ball of yarn...I've used an elastic band wrapped around the needle too.
Jane x

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh I do hope your allergies calm down. Are you allergic to snow?:)
Seriously I do hope you feel better soon. i love the scarf. B

Anonymous said...

Nothing worse than a drippy nose. Did you try Sudafed, non-drowsy - works for me. How did you make out with your ear aches last week, Maybe your Dr. can prescribe something that will dry you out. Love the scarf colors. Bess

EG CameraGirl said...

I hope you soon discover whatever is making your nose feel so uncomfortable!

I have a rubber thingy that I place on the end of my knitting needles. It is something my grandmother gave ma many years ago.

Stella Jones said...

Funny I've been suffering too! I don't have any poinsettias. Perhaps we are allergic to Christmas? Maybe it's being inside so much. I don't know but I've been through so many boxes of tissues, it's getting really tiresome now!
Love the scarf.

Cheapchick said...

In Alberta we used to get snow mold late in the year - maybe that is it? Great deals, especially the Cheese Whiz. I have a Canadian Tire Gift card burning a hole in my pocket as well.

Shirley said...

I remember one year I wanted to pull my eyes out so I could scratch my eye sockets. Glad that that hasn't happened since. I use hair bobbles. I also use them to hold sets of dpns together. I should put the sizes on them and that would be even more helpful!

Piece by Piece said...

Hope your allergies calm down soon.
I was also going suggest the wine cork, what I usually do is put the needles in the ball of yarn, being careful not to go through any of the yarn itself. Years ago I was told the needles would weaken the yarn if you go through it.!!!!
Love your scarf.
Patricia

Hawaii Planner said...

Hope your allergies get better! and, that's a beautiful scarf.

peppylady (Dora) said...

To me it seem like you are looking for bargains. We have about two feet (24 inches) of snow in our yard now and it lightly coming down.
Nothing right now is bothering me but at time I don't know which is worst the allergies or the medication...to be quite honest neither one.
Can't wait for Carla January challenge....coffee is on.

~Carla~ said...

Love that scarf! It's beautiful!! :) Hope your allergies are feeling better soon! ugh!!

Hotel Stay - Dinner

As part of our hotel stay the kids had booked us dinner, breakfast and afternoon tea. Here is what we ate at dinner.  Everything was spot on...