Monday, December 17, 2012

Sticker shock.......

On Sunday we were out and about.  One of the places I had to go was Michael's as I needed some new blades for my rotary cutter, which I use to cut out material.

I was shocked to see they were $49.99 for a pack of five blades.  Anyone who quilts how long have they been that expensive?  I will admit to not having to buy any for a while.  Also pleased I had a 50% off coupon, so only paid just over $28 after taxes after the coupon.  Which I guess is better than nothing.  Quilting isn't the cheapest hobby out there, that's for sure.

Question for the quilters out there: how do you dispose of your old blades?

I forgot to show you our latest acquisition from the charity shop:
It needs recovered and waxed/stained; which we are going to do in the New Year.  I think I paid $38 for it and dh uses it to put his feet on when sitting on the sofa.

Last week when I met Jane for lunch in Orillia, we went to a restaurant called Sixteen Front.  It was a really lovely place and here are a couple of photos of the place.  First the toilet paper in the ladies bathroom:
I love to see the toilet paper folded like that, always a good sign if you ask me!!

This is a photo of my meal.  Salad, soup and sandwich, just can't remember the flavours now!!
The photo I took of Jane's meal, which you can sort of see, was blurry, which was a shame.  If you are in Orillia for any reason both Jane and I thoroughly enjoyed our meal there and the whole ambiance of the place, and it's well priced.

Another great Christmas song:


11 comments:

Debby said...

Cutting blades are crazy expensive. I have never bought a large pack like yours just one at a time for me! Ha They should last close to a year unless you get a nick in them. When I throw one out I return it to the conatiner it came in. Maybe put them in an old plastic container or something that needs to be thrown out.

Jane and Chris said...

That meal was lovely wasn't it.
Jane x

~Carla~ said...

I haven't had to buy new blades but soon enough I'm sure... I plan on scoping out Ebay for new blades!

Cheapchick said...

I love the legs on that footstool. Merry Christmas!

Stella Jones said...

I've never replaced mine but should do soon. I'm new to quilting and find the cutting out difficult. My pieces never seem to end up the same size, however much I try.

Kim said...

Do you not have a Fabricland near you? They would def be cheaper than Micheal's - everything is overpriced at Micheal's. Or an independent fabric store may carry them too.

Lena said...

I was lucky to inherit some blades from Hubby's Grandma but it's definitely a sticker shock!! I love your new stool. Can't wait to see what you'll do with it!

angela said...

I have only bought one blade but a good tip is to keep an old one and use that to cut through wadding as thats what does most of the damage. that way you extend the life of your new blades.

Rose said...

First, I love your stool.

As for blades, it has been such a long time since I bought any. I had been wondering what they cost now. I do like Debby said and put them in the old container. I also bought a sharpener from Joanne fabrics that Roger uses and does help.

I will tell you a couple things...I have all three sizes...and I use the 60 mm when cutting most of the time. People will talk about they cannot afford them because they are so expensive, but I have found it is worth it. They last so much longer because their circumference is so much bigger than the 45mm.

Also, my blades last so much longer since I quit using the white mats. I first had one of the first ones that came out, then just a few years ago I got a new white one that is supposed to be so big. I also had smaller green ones..

I happened to notice that my rotary cutter wasn't cutting good and I knew I had just changed the blade...I don't know what made me switch to the other mat, but I have hardly changed a blade since then and that is many quilts ago. Oh, I have probably changed once...but that would be about it.

Rose said...

I just check Hancock's of Paducah...they have these 45 blades at 10 for $39.99...

Unknown said...

this price is not ideal. we can get at lower price.

Hotel Stay - Dinner

As part of our hotel stay the kids had booked us dinner, breakfast and afternoon tea. Here is what we ate at dinner.  Everything was spot on...