Monday, December 31, 2012

Photo heavy post featuring dd kitchen

As many of you know dd and son-in-law bought their first house in August of this year.  They have been busy renovating it along with help from dh and son-in-law's dad.  However the majority of the work has been done by the pair of them.  This is the kitchen before the reno's; I think this is the photo from the sale brochure.  They put down the cheapest laminate throughout to sell the place.

This is the after, they bought the units from Lowes.  They just installed the dishwasher as they got money and giftcards for Christmas gifts.  They are saving up for a new fridge and stove.  They did all the back splash themselves and it's travertine  The walls are a very pale green from the Martha Stewart line of paints at Home Depot.

This weekend dd has been busy with two projects in their kitchen.  She made the chalk board below, using a frame from Ikea and a tin of chalk board paint.

This is a closer photo of the chalk board.
She bought the hanging rod and pails also from Ikea, along with the fake plants.  She tied twine around the middle planter that holds the chalk to give it a more rustic feel.
She also made the Roman Blind for the kitchen window.  The colours from the photos do not come up well.

I told dd that she should start a blog of her own as she is always busy doing something.  No idea what her next project will be.  If anyone has me on their Pinterest, then you'll be able to see dd as she has a Pinterest account as well under her name.

Meanwhile we have come to a standstill in our house, as dh has been working long hours these past couple of weeks.  Fingers crossed in a week or two's time we can get back to finishing off the basement.




20 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks great Gill - love the chalk board wall!

j udy said...

What a warm and welcoming kitchen space. Best of luck to her..I love it

bonsaimum said...

Looks fantastic. They have done a great job. :)

Cheapchick said...

Wow, what a huge improvement - doesn't even look like the same kitchen! They are very talented

Dc said...

That looks lovely, such a change. You certainly seem to have huge cookers over there compared to us.

Evelyn said...

beautiful!

Cindy@NorthofWiarton said...

Perfect through and through. I wish I had more wall space for my little retro chaulk board in my kitchen. Some day when I get my dream home I am sure I will *smile*. Happy happy New Year to you and hubby, Gill. xx

The Witch said...

Gill,
WOW they did a amazing job. Love the before and after shots. I have been thinking of doing the chalkboard idea for awhile just don't know where to put it. Your daughter did a great job with hers and I love the rustic look.
So nice to see young people trying these projects on their own, look at all the money they have already saved.

Aodhnait said...

What an improvement. I love their new kitchen!

Best of luck to them in their new home.

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh this is beautiful. Very talented designers it is those little creative things that work well. B

~Carla~ said...

Ohhh... Love it!! Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!! :)

Jane and Chris said...

Now THAT's an improvement!!
Jane x

Connie said...

What a difference a reno makes, love the colour and the chalk board. You are a very talented family. :)

Em Parkinson said...

VERY nice. The floor looks great in comparison to the first one.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful job. I like the Roman shade. - Mary Ann

Lena said...

It turned out great!!

tlcukjourney said...

It's lovely!!! I love it!
I've so enjoyed reading about you and your family this past couple of months! I look forward to another year of blogging! I hope you have a very peaceful and prosperous 2013! Love, Tammy xx

Anne said...

It looks fab!

Cash Only Living said...

Holy cow! They did a great job. Instead of a blog they should start their own renovation/design business! Best wishes to you and your family in the new year!

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Beautiful reno! How can I find you on pinterest -- I have looked but can't find you.

Hotel Stay

First of all thank you for all your birthday wishes.  Each and every one of them was greatly appreciated.  The kids bought me/us an overnigh...