Saturday, May 29, 2010

I need some help from you.......please and a trip to the dentist.

Does anyone know if there is a quote out there that sort of says how food brings everyone together, but in a more eloquent way?  I am wanting to use it in the forward for the recipe book.  That is the next big task I have to tackle, writing the forward for the book.


As for the recipe book we're up to nearly 180 recipes, so we are on the home ward stretch now.  I have a few admin. things to sort out and try and organize a guy who wants to do the graphics on the recipe section dividers.  The front cover is more or less done, just a few little tweaks here and there.  Overall I am very pleased with it all.  Would I do it again........probably not, but it's been an interesting process.


I finally went to the dentist on Friday, only because my poor mouth was so sore.  Anyway, he took x-rays and they showed nothing wrong.  So he has put me on antibiotics for a week, to see if its an infection.  I have to go back next Friday if it's no better, and then he is going to put a temporary medicated filling in the tooth for three months.  If that doesn't work, then goodness knows what the next option is going to be.  He thinks I may have a crack in the tooth, but he's not sure.  At this rate I am going to be toothless before long and will have to eat pureed food!!

You will need to click on these photos for a better look. I have a family of Killdeer wandering around the field.  A mother, father and four babies, who are as cute as a button.







This is one of the parents pretending to be injured to distract me from the babies!

Can't decide if this is a House Martin, a Purple Martin or a Swallow.  Regardless its one of a couple who are hanging around.
Just the view of the south woods.

8 comments:

Toria said...

Laughter is brightest where food is best (Irish proverb)

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Hi Gill!! How about, “Food is our common ground, a universal experience.” James Beard (1903-1985) ???
I'm sorry that your tooth is still sore. But it's good that he didn't find any decay and something obvious--I'm sticking to my advice that it needs some time to heal! ;-)))
Hope your arm is better too!! (My heal has been sore the last couple of days and I've thought of you!)
Have a good weekend!

Karine said...

I'm glad to hear that the recipe book is coming along so well, you have some lovely quotes to use for it now too! Unfortunately I don't know any, or I didn't before reading the comments on your post lol

I'm glad there's nothing seriously wrong with your tooth, at least it sounds like you won't have to have it pulled! If he thinks it's cracked, then maybe he'll put a seal on it to protect it? That was done with two of my brother's teeth when he was little because he was so prone to cavities.

Kim said...

I googled Inspirational food quotes - there are tons - here are 2 links

http://www.inspirational-quotes.info/cooking_quotes.html

http://www.finestquotes.com/select_quote-category-Food-page-0.htm

MyBulletinBoard said...

Any chance you are grinding or clenching your teeth in your sleep? I went through a spell of that one particularly stressful time, and I had a lot of pain. Of course, you don't have much stress, do you? Just a lot of grass, and a cookbook, and heel spurs, and gardens, and a wounded arm, and an itchy dog, and . . . that relaxing life in the country!

Liz, trying to relax in The Republic

DeniseinVA said...

“Food is our common ground, a universal experience.”
— James Beard

“That's something I've noticed about food: whenever there's a crisis if you can get people to eating normally things get better.”
Madeleine L'Engle (1918--) American author.

"Food to a large extent is what holds a society together and eating is closely linked to deep spiritual experiences."
Peter Farb and George Armelagos
'Consuming Passions: The Anthropology of Eating'

These are the ones I came up with but I see that James Beard's quote has already made it to the 'table', pardon the pun. The photos of the Kildeer chicks were lovely. Hope your tooth pain goes away with the anti-biotics.

Piece by Piece said...

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well. Virgina Woolf
Hope both your arm and tooth will be feeling better soon.
Patricia

The Witch said...

Gill,
" A COOKBOOK," says people community, friendship, warmth and love." ( My Saying)
Also this:
RECIPE FOR A HAPPY LIFE.
1 cup Freedom
1/14 cups helping other
4 tsp fun
1 whole happy home
1/2 cup cleanliness
2 1/2 cups success
2 tbsp belonging
1 whole picture of love
1/2 cup honesty
1 cup understanding
enough work to help reach our goal.
Mix well until blended into body and mind. Store extra amounts in schools, churches, cities and nations.
We did a company cookbook and this was the opening page.
Hope I've given you some idea's because I know what a huge undertaking this can be.
I would really love to see the the finish project.
Have a great weekend.

Hotel Stay

First of all thank you for all your birthday wishes.  Each and every one of them was greatly appreciated.  The kids bought me/us an overnigh...