Wednesday, November 8, 2023

Book or Movie/TV series?

 I have just watched a series on Netflix called, "All the Light We Cannot See."


Here is the Synopsis from Amazon:

Marie-Laure lives in Paris near the Museum of Natural History, where her father works. When she is twelve, the Nazis occupy Paris and father and daughter flee to the walled citadel of Saint-Malo, where Marie-Laure’s reclusive great uncle lives in a tall house by the sea. With them they carry what might be the museum’s most valuable and dangerous jewel.

In a mining town in Germany, Werner Pfennig, an orphan, grows up with his younger sister, enchanted by a crude radio they find that brings them news and stories from places they have never seen or imagined. Werner becomes an expert at building and fixing these crucial new instruments and is enlisted to use his talent to track down the resistance. Deftly interweaving the lives of Marie-Laure and Werner, Doerr illuminates the ways, against all odds, people try to be good to one another.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching the four episodes on Netflix.  Now I will say I normally enjoy reading a book over watching a movie, so I was wondering if anyone has read this book and watched the Netflix series?

Is there a big difference between the book and the Netflix series?  One of the book reviews I read, said the book was confusing going from one time period to the next and in no specific order?

Regardless, I enjoyed the series, but I am not going to read the book.


9 comments:

Anne in the kitchen said...

I read the book and really enjoyed it. I will eventually watch the Netflix series but not right now.

Joy said...

SOmetimes they can be so very different as to be a completely different story. I wonder what the authors think. xx

Jackie said...

I have read the book, but haven't watched the series as of yet. I might give that a go today and will let you know. I really enjoyed the book.

God bless.

Linda said...

I have never read it or seen the movie. But, it sounds interesting.
Practical Parsimony

Jeanie said...

The book is exquisite. I'm afraid to see the series because it seems TV/film always messes it up!

Anonymous said...

I read the book over the summer and as others have said it does bounce back and forth timewise. I don't think I will watch it now likely this winter when I can watch it at one go, but I hope they don't change it much as I did enjoy the book.

Jackie said...

I watched the series yesterday and really liked it. I still like books more than the movie adaptations. They (books) leave more to the imagination.

God bless.

Maggie said...

I have this book on my to read shelf but after reading many negative reviews I haven't picked it up. Didn't realise there was a series on Netflix, I might check it out.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I have heard of this book but didn't realize it was on Netflix. Haven't read (or obviously watched) it but will put it on the list of possibilities. I don't normally like stories about wars but perhaps this one might be okay.

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...