Saturday, November 25, 2023

A huge thank you to Mr. Beaver

Last weekend was reasonably warm so it was an ideal opportunity to decorate the outside of the house for Christmas.  Hubby put up lights, while I put together my two Christmas pots.

As I headed into the forest by the pond to cut some greenery I stumbled upon a felled tree.  It had been chewed and felled by our resident beaver that we have in our pond.  So all the branches I cut were from this felled tree or from other branches from the ground.  I always feel a little guilty cutting my own, but I always make sure I cut them from the back of a tree and don't chop from a tree willy-nilly.

This tub is by the side of the house coming up the footpath:

This one is in front of the window and has lights on it.
I bought all the picks on sale a couple of years ago and use them every year.
I was at a garden centre a week or two ago and saw inserts for up to $100 each.  You can see some here and here. I just can't justify spending that much on inserts.  

Do you make your own arrangements, or buy them?




5 comments:

Joy said...

That looks absolutely beautiful. How kind of Mr Beaver. xx

Linda said...

I made them when I had arrangements and from things in my yard. I did buy one poinsettia arrangement that I found at a yard sale for $5. It is not the same as a fresh greenery arrangement or a real poinsettia. But, it fills the bill. Also, it came in a giant teacup decorated for Christmas.
Practical Parsimony

Karen said...

I live on the edge of the forest, so greenery is close at hand. There are always pine branches along the lane that need cutting back. The snowplow frequently knocks down our mailbox, but our neighbour came up with a novel solution. He is an appliance repair man and has access to some neat parts. He has been giving us all stainless steel washing machine tubs to plant our mailbox posts. I filled mine with pine boughs and then put a nice bow in the mix. I might rustle up some picks too. It's a big display and needs some real "oomph".

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I saw some similar (but not as nice as yours!) at Canadian Tire and was horrified at the price they were asking. We have nowhere to put anything like that but I do admire them.

Jackie said...

What lovely pots. You are so very artistic.

God bless.

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...