Saturday, December 31, 2022

New thing I am going to do

In 2023 I am going to keep a log of what books I read.  I do have a Book Review blog, that's here.

I do review books for this company Graff Martin, and the site is called Nut's About Books.  If you click on the name there is a link if you want to apply to be one of the reviewers.

I write reviews over on my book review blog about the books I receive from that company.  Though I do read a lot more books but don't review every book I read; maybe I should?  I don't have a problem with doing a log, but am lazy at reviewing 😉

I will probably add the list on my side bar with links to the books and go from there.

I have just read this book:


Here is a link to the book overview on Amazon; it was a very light read, I call it a shopping list book, where you don't have to concentrate too hard to understand the story, I can also be thinking of other things.  

One other thing I am going to do, is I don't like a book after reading 25% of it, I am not going to fight on with it.  There are too many books in the world I haven't read, why read something you don't like?

One of my goals this coming year is to read what I have in the house, donate the books, and then use the library to borrow books.  Since covid I have been very lazy in using the library and have been buying them instead.  Granted I try and buy them from either Book Outlet a site I highly recommend or I buy the 3 books for $10 at Chapters/Indigo here in Canada.

Book Outlet has both a Canadian site and a US site.  The only snag with looking on Book Outlet, I can be on that site for hours...LOL  I have a weakness for books.  I do though read them only once then donate them.  Rarely do I read a book twice.

My genre of books is historical fiction.  However, I find my tastes changing and love a spy/thriller/mystery/murder type book every now and then.  

Do you read books more than once?  Also do you love reading?  What genre of books are your go to?

15 comments:

Joy said...

That sounds interesting - I look forward to reading your reviews.
Wishing you a Happy New Year. xx

Caree Risover said...

I love lists so have been keeping a record of the books I read each year for a while now. Mainly, however, I use the Goodreads app, so that way I have a virtual shelf, a picture of the book cover and a synopsis; it’s really helped me give away paperbacks after I’ve read them rather than allowing them to gather dust and deteriorate in a book case. Best benefit, however, is it’s stopped me picking up and reading again something so inmemorable that I can get halfway through before I work out why it seems a familiar tale.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

We are book readers too and I think we keep the library in business to say nothing about the massive collection of to-be-read books that are under our bed (apartment life, what can I say). I read pretty much anything but mainly like historical fiction and mysteries with some romances thrown in for some light reading. Resident Chef likes mostly the same thing but he also likes westerns. I have two friends whom I share books with and once they've been through us all they come back to me and then I take them to our little 'library' in our building for other residents to enjoy.
I haven't managed to find any interest in reading books online or on a tablet because I far prefer to read a 'real' book. And, I can't say that I re-read much beyond having read The Lord of the Rings more than once.
I'm going to enjoy following your reviews and hopefully will pick up some new-to-us authors that way.
(HAppy New Year!)

Belinda said...

My daughter keeps track of her books on the Goodreads website. She is a voracious reader and reads every day. I read mostly nonfiction books, so I can learn something. But I do read some favorite books more than once.

Jeanie said...

I do go back to books, especially series books, and often reread the most recent entry before the new one to keep me on pace, especially when the character development is greater. And also in my history/biography books; less so for most fiction. Some I just save because I love the colors or want the set. I participate in a couple of book exchanges with friends so I rarely BUY books (sometimes, but not often) and will either take books to resale at our local book store for credit (that's when I "buy" a book --with my credit!) and donate the ones they don't take. I've been keeping a list of the books I read (with author and page count) since the early 2000s. It's fun looking back!

Happy New Year, Gill!

My Piece of Earth said...

In the past I read a lot of books, these days it seems I can't find enough time to do that.

I am making a New Years resolution to have more "ME" time, hopefully that will allow me to read more.

Wishing you a very Happy New Year, health, wealth and happiness throughout 2023.

Cheers.

T'Pol said...

Happy New Year Gill! I like spy/thriller/mystery/murder books mostly. Like you, I donate or pass the book to my SIS when I'm done reading.

Karen said...

Do you see little free libraries in your area? I always keep a few books in the car to exchange or donate.

Maggie said...

I don't tend to read books more than once, unless they are then our bookclub choice, but I do keep the books I've enjoyed.
I keep a record of my books on Goodreads. I love a list and goodreads give me extras like pages read and I can see what friends are reading and get recommendations. I'm looking forward to setting my reading goal for 2023 on there in the next few days to.

happy New Year to you and your family, hope it's a good one.

Carla said...

I want to keep a ‘running list’ of the books I read this year too!! I need all the notebooks.. lol!! I usually have 2-3 books on the go at once, but all different types of books.

Bless said...

I love to read and yes, there are some books that I read more than once! I am trying to declutter some of the books I have on my shelves, but, I want to read them again before I do that (not quite sure why, but, it's what I want to do!). That's something I want to do in the new year. I like history books, craft books, home and garden books (cook books, too, but, I've decluttered the majority of those).
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment.

50 and counting said...

I love to read, so thank you for the link. I doubt they will select me as I'm not big on social media.

I started using our library much more during the spring of 2020, our library was not open but you could order the books for pick up. I found that I was reading a lot and being able to order the books rather than wander the library made me more selective.

If the book hasn't grabbed me by page 75 I give up. As you said, life is too short to finish unappealing books.

DeniseinVA said...

Sounds like a good idea. I love a good book but haven't picked one up in a while. Happy New Year Gill!

Notes From The Frugal Trenches said...

I also enjoy historical fiction. Have you read Maureen Lee's books? They centre around Bootle, just outside Liverpool during the war years.

I will check out your book blog!

Rose said...

A few years ago I gave myself permission to stop reading a book if I did not like it. I do not read half as many books as I used to anyway, but I still feel.naked if I am not currently reading something.

I don't really have a genre any more. Though I always buy Alaska, Yukon, etc books...people's personal accounts of living there, etc. And I read true crime books but do not like to read too many at one time.

Another blogger has a tab on her blog and she lists the books she reads for the year, and rates them by stars.

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...