Saturday, December 24, 2022

Confirmed, what I already knew!

A group of us try to get together every year for a catch up, a meal etc.  We generally do a gift exchange and this year we had to buy something that we love and give that to everyone, with a $10 limit.  As a side note, I think only myself and my daughter listened, the others went way over🤨

One lady gave us these painting supplies along with a candle.  As you can see she even included how to's on painting Christmas pictures, they are all for beginners.
I have been stressing about this for the past few days.  I kept looking at the instructions and I wasn't overly fussed about doing a Christmas painting.  So I looked at online and decided on something else; flowers.

Here is what I did.  Now don't feel you have to comment or tell me it's fine for a first attempt I know it's pretty miserable.  I am no painter.  Painting is not my thing.  I over think it all.  Realistically I am a paint by numbers type of gal.  Being told where to paint and with what colour.  Funnily enough I have even looked at those paint by numbers kit as I think that would be fun.  This wasn't fun for me it was stressful.
After looking at it over the day, I decided it looked better this way round?




Our daughter regularly does those online paint nights and does a super job.  The girls had a water colour artist come into their school and they both did super.  In fact here is Nora's painting and she is only 9!


So I am going to quit while I ahead.  I can say I have tried it but it's not for me.

Meanwhile below is the tutorial that inspired my painting.


10 comments:

angela said...

This year I started having art lessons.
My teacher is wonderful and brings out the best you can be.
I always wanted to paint. But my high school art teacher told me I’d never be able to do it.
Well. My art teacher and I have proved him wrong.
And I have a wonderful time doing it. Maybe look for a class. It’s so much fun

Joy said...

Maybe not your thing but what you have created is really lovely so well done. xx

William Kendall said...

It looks lovely. Far better than what I could do.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

Actually, I like it. I watched part of the tutorial and don’t think I could deal with the bag! My father was an artist by trade and I can’t draw a straight line with a ruler so I am in awe of anybody who tries. I used to do paint by number as a child and have thought about doing it again and I might. It could be fun. But Nora’s is smashing! I hope they frame that and keep it. It is outstanding.

Karen said...

Oh Gill, don't give up. If you have the desire, follow your own path. Don't judge your own work against someone elses. I too had a teacher who told me I'd never be an artist and my family didn't encourage artistic endeavors. I painted whatever came to mind in a lonely basement room, then put them away, About six years ago I attended an exhibit by a local artist, who mentioned she was going to give technique lessons that winter. I've just finished a portrait of my grandfather which totally shocked my family, as well as me. Go for it!!

50 and counting said...

Your painting is wonderful! Made me think of windswept Pansies. I love Pansies.

Happy Christmas

My Piece of Earth said...

I like it, put it in a frame, it's makes a lot of difference to the look.
I always thought I would like to paint, unfortunately not much good at, however, I did purchase some Inktense paints for fabric, have not tried it yet, something new for 2023.

Also, like your UK Christmas ornaments, I am sure the phone boxes are a thing of the past, have seen pictures of them being used as a "take one leave one" library.

Have wonderful Christmas.

Chris said...

Glad to see you back blogging, Gill. I've missed you! Chris

Cathy said...

Hello Gill
Thought you’d left for ever then saw your comment on Frugal Trenches. Great to see you back….looking forward to reading more about your world. Are you still in the same house - no acres of grass to mow again???
Take care
Cathy

Notes From The Frugal Trenches said...

I think your art turned out great Gill! I really like it! Also, your granddaughter is very talented!

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...