Sunday, June 6, 2010

Worm Charming and Molly.........

When I was at the grocery store on Saturday, there was a big sign in the parking lot announcing the Worm Charming Festival????  My first thought was what on earth is worm charming? 

Here are the rules: 

Each competitor to operate in a 3 x 3 meter (10' x 10') plot.


Lots to be drawn to allocate plots.
Duration of competition to be 30 minutes, starting at about 11:30 am.


Worms may not be dug from the ground. The sod may be punctured but not broken or lifted. Vibrations only to be used.

No chemicals, drugs or electricity to be used! Water is considered to be a drug/stimulant.


Any form of music may be used to charm the worms out of the earth.
A garden fork of normal type may be stuck into the ground and vibrated by any manual means to encourage worms to the surface.

Garden forks to be suitably covered to prevent possible injury when being transported to and from the competition. No accidents please!
Each competitor to place his/her fork and other equipment in allocated plot on arrival.


A piece of wood, smooth or notched may be used to strike or 'fiddle' the handle of the garden fork to assist vibration.


Competitors who do not wish to handle worms may appoint a seconds to do so. The second shall be known as a 'Gillie'. Maximum is two Gillies per plot.


Each competitor may collect worms from his/her own plot only.


Worms to be handled carefully and collected in damp peat and placed in a suitable, numbered container provided by the organizing committee. Broken or damaged worms will not be counted,


A hand bell to be rung five minutes before the start of the competition will signal competitors to enter their plot. The bell will also signal the start and finish.


Competitors to keep clear of competition plots until given the instruction "Get to your Plots".


The competitor who 'charms' the most worms will be declared Canadian Worm Charming Champion and will hold that Trophy for one year. The competitor who 'charms' the heaviest worm will receive the Great Worm trophy and hold it for one year. The most unique costume or method earns the "Most Curious Wormer" trophy.ost unique costume or method "Most Curious Wormer"
Winners will also receive a permanent trophy as a reminder of their accomplishment,


Judges will also award a trophy for the most unusual method and or costuming,


In the event of a tie, the winner to be decided by a further five minutes charming.


Charmed worms to be released after the birds have gone to roost on the evening of the event.

Now doesn't this all sound fascinating?  I wasn't at all aware of this, otherwise I may have entered, I guess there is always next year?  Meanwhile I will have to practice "charming the worms" out of the ground, when I have nothing else to do.  By the way if you Google "Worm Charming," you will come up with all sorts of sites.  I got my information from the Canadian site here.

I haven't mentioned Molly in a while.  She's fine but I think we are in the peak of allergy season at the moment, as she is chewing and scratching quite badly.  I am considering increasing her steroids to a full pill per day, I'll see.  Oh and she is a dog after my own heart, she hates the wet weather.  I opened the door to let her out this morning and she took one look at the rain and wouldn't move.  So to get her out for a pee, I had to put her on her leash and take her out myself.  Which is just fine and dandy, but that means both of us are getting wet then!!

The new header photo is of one of my scented Geraniums, but I don't know the name, I need to look it up.  Must say it's very pretty though.

Off to early services at church today so I had better scoot.

7 comments:

The Witch said...

Thanks for the info on Worm Charming I had never heard of it either. Sounds like it would fun and really interesting to watch.
Love you new header picture.

Jenn Jilks said...

Worm charming...what a hoot.
Our cats have fleas right now. We get a little ampule of Rx and it gets them happy again!
Love the header.

MyBulletinBoard said...

And you tried to tell us your life isn't very interesting . . . . . .

Liz, The Republic

Stephany said...

LOL! That actually sounds like it could be fun! I have tons of worms in my garden, maybe I should try?

My collie, Sammy (who won't go out in the rain either), has to take steroids for allergies too. For three years, the vet has insisted he's allergic to fleas. It turned out to be mosquitoes and cedar sap.

I hope your arm is doing better!

Karine said...

Worm charming? That's hilarious!!! As for you and Molly not liking the wet weather, I can totally sympathize. I was out for most of the day today and got so wet and cold, I was miserable! I'm now wearing a jogging suit and eating a bowl clam chowder to help myself get warmed up.

Jo said...

never heard of it, you learn something new every day
Josie x

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Worm charming--Who would have thought they could be charmed? I had no idea!
I guess Molly and I both have something in common right now with both being itchy, I wonder what will ease first, her allergies or my poison ivy? ;-)))

Hotel Stay

First of all thank you for all your birthday wishes.  Each and every one of them was greatly appreciated.  The kids bought me/us an overnigh...