Sunday, June 20, 2010

Um, um good..........

I wish we could smell things through our computers, as believe me this ham smells as good as it looks!!

I used a new to me glaze recipe on it, here is the link.  My only advise with this glaze, it's like toffee if you let it cool down!  It's good though.

While I had the oven on, I made a couple more Rhubarb Crumble Pies, recipe here.  One for us and one to sell at the Church Strawberry Supper.


Saturday was another busy day for me.  I baked the ham and the pies first thing in the morning before it got too hot.  They are for lunch today.  I then nipped into town to take advantage of the 20 x the points deal at Shopper's Drug Mart.  So I am now stocked up on toilet paper and laundry detergent for the next six months.  With coupons I only paid 99 cents for a bottle of Purex.  Plus I treated myself to a 24 pack of Nestea.  I don't have it that often so it makes a nice treat.  I see they are changing the points system at Shopper's and not in our favour!!  Here is a link to what's what.  Now the girl in the store was saying that next weekend it's a bonus redemption weekend here in Ontario, so I may cash my points in.  I only have 40 odd thousand; still I can get $100 worth of product free with that.

By the time I got back home and unpacked the groceries, it was lunch time.  After lunch I made a potato salad for lunch today.  Then fiddled on for the rest of the afternoon until it was time for me to go out at 4pm.

I went to the Strawberry Supper and sold a few recipe books; so far I have orders for 32 recipe books, so not too bad a start.  There was ham, various salads, and rolls for the main course, with fresh srawberries, whipped cream, ice cream and shortcake for dessert. Coffee or tea.  It was $14 for adults and $6 for children and under 4 was free. 

There was also a table where homemade bread and biscuits/scones were being sold.  I bought a couple loaves of bread.  Also there was a table with homemade pies that the church ladies provided.  They were selling pies for $10 each. There must have been around 40 pies on the table and when I left there was probably only 10 left.  I am pleased to say someone bought my pie.  At the time of writing I don't know how much money was made, but I know there was around a couple of hundred people who bought tickets for the meal.  Regardless it was well worth while.

4 comments:

Tracey said...

I'm sure I can smell that ham! How much is $10 in proper money????! xxx

Cathy said...

Hello Gill
What no grass cutting??
I have to say that sounds like a great way to spend the evening. Surrounded by friends and food.
Just a curious question - down here we have to list all the ingredients of things (cakes, biscuits, sllices, pies etc) for sale on a cake stall - is it the same in your province or even Canada wide?
Take care
Cathy

Still Waters

Canadian Saver said...

The ham and pie look delicious!

Thanks for the heads up on the new Shoppers redemption stuff, I had no idea...

Glad your cookbooks are starting to sell!

Stella Jones said...

The ham and the rhubarb crumble look gorgeous. I have no idea what you saved money on. Ha ha. Was it toilet paper by any chance?
Great news about the cookbooks. Us girls can never get enough of those, can we!

Hotel Stay

First of all thank you for all your birthday wishes.  Each and every one of them was greatly appreciated.  The kids bought me/us an overnigh...