Thursday, May 24, 2012

Strawberry and Rhubarb Crumble Pie......

Picked some rhubarb from the garden and made a couple of Strawberry and Rhubarb Crumble Pie's.


Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble Pie



Ingredients

  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3/4 pound fresh rhubarb, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
  • 1 pint fresh strawberries, halved
  • 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie shell
  • TOPPING:
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup quick-cooking or rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup cold butter

Directions

  1. In a large mixing bowl, beat egg. Add the sugar, flour and vanilla; mix well. Gently fold in rhubarb and strawberries. Pour into pastry shell.
  2. For topping, combine flour, brown sugar and oats in a small bowl; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over fruit. Bake at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.  
I reduced the sugar to 3/4 cup and didn't include the egg.  Make sure you put some tin foil under the pie dish as it will more than probably run over.

9 comments:

landcuckoo said...

Oooo that sounds delicious, would happily make it right now for breakfast!
Sarah x

Fran said...

That sounds lovely. Shall try that on Sunday when we have guests to dinner. Thank you xxx

Mysti said...

Oh, I love strawberry-rhubarb! I might have to try that when my parents come to visit.

Anonymous said...

Crumble is my favourite hot pudding - yours looks lovely!

John Going Gently said...

I hate rhubarb but chris loves it.. I grow it too.. thanks for that Gillx

Karine said...

Oh, yum, yum, yum! Strawberry rhubarb is my favorite pie!

peppylady (Dora) said...

When I saw your title of Strawberry and Rhubarb I just had to look at your posting. The strawberry here got buds and blossom on. Somehow I lost the rhubarb don't ask me how.
Rhubarb is one of my favor pie so I copied the recipe...coffee is on.

Cheapchick said...

MMMM sounds lovely

Unknown said...

so yummy

nazmeen
www.andaazonline.com

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...