Monday, July 4, 2011

The story behind the 26,000 emails.........

Back in July of 2009 I set up a Gmail account, where I have been sending and receiving emails.  Unbeknown to me although I have been deleting them from my inbox etc, I hadn't been deleting them from the server, and that is where I am trying to delete them from.  So in two years I have sent and have received over 26,000 emails........


30 years today me and dh went out on our first date.  I would think we went to the pub, can't really remember anything else about it.  It is also one of my niece's birthday's today she is 15 years of age, just seems like yesterday when she was born.  Time is certainly flying by fast.

I have just read the book, "Jesus, My Father, The CIA, and Me, A memoir of sorts," by Ian Morgan Cron

 “When I first discovered the grainy picture in my mother’s desk—me as a towheaded two year old sitting in what I remember was a salmon-orange-stained lifeboat—I was overwhelmed by the feeling that the boy in the boat was not waving and laughing at the person snapping the photo as much as he was frantically trying to get the attention of the man I am today. The boy was beckoning me to join him on a voyage through the harrowing straits of memory. He was gambling that if we survived the passage, we might discover an ocean where the past would become the wind at our back rather than a driving gale to the nose of our boat. This book is the record of that voyage.”

Reading the excerpt of the book, I must admit I didn't know what to expect exactly, but the title intrigued me so I thought I would give it a go.  Will admit to it being slow going at first but once you get into it you will be pleasantly surprised. 

You go through an array of emotions, from laughing out loud at the funny stories he tells you, to being sad and angry at the way his alcoholic father treats the author.  He also takes you through the ups and downs of his love/hate relationship with the church and God.

Its well worth the read and not overly hard.

Stars out of 5: 3.5 it wasn't the best book out there but a pretty interesting read, which will make you appreciate what you have in life.

"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. 

Available at your favourite bookseller from Thomas Nelson". 

6 comments:

Sandi McBride said...

I love reading and right now am really into the Stepanie Plum mystery series by Janet Evanovich...she's funny and fun! Will be looking for this book from your review...sounds interesting.
Sandi

Karine said...

That certainly does sound like a different sort of book! I am still reading Edward Rutherfurd's 'London' and will be for a while! It is an amazing book though!

As for the e-mails, I had no clue you had to deleted them from a server before they were really gone? I would never even bother, like you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Gill- I am one of your faithful readers from Long Island, New York. I've been reading and enjoying your blog for some time now. I just saw that you and your hubby started dating 30 years ago today-same as me and my hubby! What a coincidence! Happy 'Anniversary'!! And from the US, Happy 4th of July! ~Liz K

Grumpy Old Ken said...

I throw computers away when they're full, cant get the hang of deleting etc!

Stella Jones said...

You've prompted me to go check my other email accounts. I bet I've got a stash of rubbish waiting to be deleted too!
The book sounds bizarre. You did a good review on it.

DeniseinVA said...

That sounds like a wonderful book review. My first date with hubby was a drive over Dartmoor in my rusty old mini that had a leaking radiator problem :) I loved that old grey mini, rust and all.

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...