Saturday, May 23, 2009

Friday was a bit of a blah day........

Not sure what happened, but I ended up hurting my other shoulder on Thursday so when I got up on Friday I felt rotten. Not only that, but Wednesday and Thursday were pretty hot days, and on Thursday I remembered to put on my hat when I was gardening, but totally forgot to put sunscreen on and have burned my shoulders.

My dad popped over on Friday to do a couple of jobs for us. We have a deck on the side and the back of the house. The only way on and off the deck is through the patio doors in the family room? There were no steps on this deck, so my dad built some steps so when we get the new windows and doors in there, they don't have to keep walking through the family room.

Then my dad showed me how to plant potatoes.

I have to say I was disappointed as I only got four rows of potatoes planted in the area I had dug out. Still my dad reckons we should have enough potatoes there for around 3 months which is better than nothing.

I made a couple of quiches in the morning, as I had a few things that wanted using up in the fridge. I gave one to my dad to take home for his supper.

With the leftover pastry I made a rhubarb pie, as I still have a lot of rhubarb to pick.


We had a guy come over to give us a quote on putting in a wood burning insert into our fireplace. I should have the quote by Tuesday at the latest. We are looking at this model, the Kodiak 1700 with a brushed nickel trim. He was saying that we should order 3 bush cords of wood. How much do you pay for a bush cord of wood? I was told it is cheapest to buy it this time of year. Oh and for those of you who don't know what a bush cord of wood is (ME!!) click on this link.

Will say though, as the day progressed my shoulder got a little better. I think I need to rest it up for a couple of days, and lay off the heavy gardening. I guess I should just get back to mowing the lawn, as that doesn't use my shoulder!!

8 comments:

DeniseinVA said...

Sorry you hurt your shoulders, hopefully it won't be too long before you feel better. Your potato rows remind me of the ones my dad used to have in his garden. Nothing better than home-grown spuds is there? Vicariously enjoyed your quiche and pie too!!! At 2.04 a.m. in the morning I must be feeling hungry! I'm going off to bed instead of heading for the fridge!

Tracy said...

We have a slow combustion wood heater. Keeps the house nice and warm in the winter. We buy our firewood by the tonne. Yummy potatoes!

softinthehead said...

Gill like I said, take it easy for a while and sit down and enjoy the fruits of your labours so far. It will all still be there waiting for you:) have a great weekend. BTW that rhubarb pie looked wonderful.

ChaChaneen said...

So sorry to hear that you've got a sore shoulder, pace yourself girlfriend! A little each day, not a list each day. ha ha It's been fun watching you share your new home with us, have a nice weekend.

Decadent Housewife said...

Gill, with all the home improvements you are doing some may qualify for home renovation tax credit.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/gncy/bdgt/2009/fqhmrnvtn-eng.html

and an eco grant

http://ecoaction.gc.ca/index-eng.cfm

I wasn't sure if you had written before about this being available to Canadians. We are taking advantage of it. Sorry. Don't know how to make those links live.

Rudee said...

Obviously, you've got your work cut out for you at your new place. Sorry about the shoulder.

Scrappy quilter said...

Sorry to hear you hurt your shoulder. Give it a bit of rest so it can heal properly.

You food pictures look so yummie.

Have a wonderful and restful weekend friend.

mommanator said...

I HATE sunburn and get it too easily!
just wait till you see the vines growing on the potatoes! they are so rich looking and its hard not to dig them before they are ready! I love having our own potatoes!

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...