Friday, July 26, 2024

A trip to the doctor's office.........

If you're a regular reader, you know our doctor's office is over an hour's drive away from where we live.  However hubby needed to go and so I made an appointment for both of us.

The reason I needed to see him was to get a prescription for a Shingles vaccination.  I have had shingles three times in my life, the last time being a year ago.  However, I have never seen our family doctor regarding this.

The first time was when I was 20 and had shingles when I gave birth to our son.  The second time was in the Fall of 2022, and the third time was in the Spring of 2023.  When I explained this to our doctor, he actually asked me if I was sure if I had, had shingles!!  How could three doctors be wrong!!!!

Anyhow I got my prescription and went to our pharmacy by our home.  Thankfully our insurance covered the cost of the vaccination, which was $165; but had to pay $15 out of pocket for the pharmacist to administer the injection.  It will cost another $165 for the second one in October and $15 for the pharmacist to administer the injection.

Have any of you had the shingles vaccination?  

10 comments:

Joy said...

Yes. It's offered to everyone over a certain age in the UK - and we don't have to pay, thank goodness. xx

Ruth said...

My husband and I both had it as recommended by our doctor. Ours were fully covered but we are over 65.

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

I had the shingles vaccine, but received the one that is just a one shot dose. My pharmacist gave it to me. My doctor at the time chose that one because he said the side effects from the two-dose one could be nasty for some people. I've never had shingles and want to keep it that way. -Jenn

Magpie's Mumblings said...

We've both had the shingles shots as well as the pneumonia shots...our doctor insisted upon it. I'm glad because I truly don't want to get shingles.

My Piece of Earth said...

I have had the shingles vaccine, however, still got shingles, certainly not as bad as if could have been, but it was very painful just the same.

50 and counting said...

I've not bothered.

Oh, and keep the receipt for the fees to the pharmacist. You can claim them as part of your medical expenses.

Karen said...

Yes, I had each of the 2 types of vaccines ( total of 3 injections over the years as the latest is a 2 shot deal). Give n at local pharmacy and at no cost.

Jackie said...

Not yet, but I am considering getting it. My sister has had shingles quite a few times and the doctors are always surprised about that.

God bless.

DB Stewart said...

Three times?!!! Whoa. I'll be talking to my pharmacist.

Margie from Toronto said...

Yes, got them done last Fall - I've known people who have had shingles and it was awful - very glad to have got the shots - and my insurance covered it.

Sunday Song

From 1977 - Thelma Houston; Don't You Leave Me This Way I remember dancing to this......... However I prefer this version and remember d...