Monday, July 23, 2018

Open Houses..........


An "Open House," is when a real estate agent opens up a house for a set period of time, usually on the weekend for the general public to walk through without an appointment or without being accompanied by a real estate agent.

Unless you are selling your own home, the homeowner does not show any potential buyers around the house.  In fact our lawyer told us back in the day to have no contact what so ever with any potential buyers as it could come back and bite you in the butt!  I took his advise to heart and it has always worked out well.

So this past weekend we had an open house on both Saturday and Sunday from 2 pm until 4 pm.  It was our choice as to whether we would like to do that and we said yes.  So of course the house was spic and span again and we left and let to real estate get on with it.

It was a nice day on Saturday, perfect open house weather, although our real estate agent said Saturday's have been generally quiet.  We ended up having four couples over, and one very nosy "neighbour" who told us (as we came back for 4 pm and were talking with the agent) she just wanted to see what we had done to the house, so she could get idea's on how to pretty her house up😲

On Sunday it poured down and one of the couples came back for a 40 minute look and another woman came.  So all in all not too bad, as the real estate market sucks here at the moment.

On Sunday we decided to visit three open houses at houses that looked great in the ads.  We all know what you see online and what you see in real life will not be the same, so despite these houses looking great online, in real life we were disappointed.

Number 1, had an odd layout and the third bedroom had no closet as it was too small, it was a baby's room and I guess could have worked as a sewing room for me.  Needed a new kitchen, again odd layout and the master bedroom was half carpet and half hardwood flooring?  It probably needed around $50,000 to make it how I would like it.

Number 2, well the best bit about the place was the back yard; BUT at some point in the future houses would be built behind you, so your privacy would be lost.  The rest of the house needed work and although mainly cosmetic, I wasn't keen on the neighbourhood and on the whole place in general.

Number 3, was a century home just like the farmhouse.  Even had the same musty smell like our farmhouse, until we had a dehumidifier running full time to get rid of the smell.  Had issues and as I told the agent it was over priced by $100,000..........never ever ask for my opinion, as yes you will get an honest opinion, ask anyone who knows me😊

So all in all our house looking quest was a bust!!  Here's hoping we get some people wanting to take another look at our house this week!!  I hate all this waiting around.....

6 comments:

One Family said...

The waiting is awful. And the nosy neighbor is annoying! We are having that with our place we are building. Apparently there are all kinds of people coming and looking around it all, when we are not there! That's a lot of nerve, in my book.

William Kendall said...

Hopefully the place you're looking for shall soon present itself.

Karen said...

I desperately need to sell my shack and get a nice little bungalow in town, but the prospect of having to gussy it up for a viewing or open house is holding me back. Plus I HATE strangers coming into my house period. How are we ever going to manage to move out of here?

Anonymous said...

Its such a stressful time selling and buying,, I hope you have a buyer come soon, it will happen,, positive thoughts,

Jackie said...

I have a feeling the real estate market sucks all over Canada. We have three houses on our block that have been up for sale for months. Hope you find a buyer soon and you find the perfect place to move to.

God bless.

Margie said...

I've never felt comfortable attending a neighbour's open house so I would rely on the online listing to satisfy my nosiness. Heh.

Hotel Stay

First of all thank you for all your birthday wishes.  Each and every one of them was greatly appreciated.  The kids bought me/us an overnigh...