Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Museum of Appalachia (photo heavy!).......

Thanks to Rose for mentioning this last week, on Saturday we went to the Museum of Appalachia. It was a good hour's drive from Pigeon Forge and we had a super time.  Also on that day there was a big Antiques Show, so we paid $20 to get in rather than $18 each.  The Antiques part of the place was a bust; not our kind of thing, we "didn't get" the type of stuff they were selling.  However the museum part of the day was great and really interesting.  

As I have a lot of photos I will split them up over a couple of days.

The Overhang or Cantilever Barn, seen an example of this up at Cades Cove as well, you can read more about them here.
Saw Mill 
We watched these guys for ages. 
 This guy was a delight to watch, he was the "Boss," look at the cigar hanging out of his mouth.



An "Out House," I wasn't going to inspect it further! 
 One of the many peacocks to be found in the park
 Big Tater Valley School House; there is a Youtube video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90x3POi4jZ8
Irwin's Chapel Church 
 A  Bee Tree, there is more info about them here.


 Turkey and chickens
 Mark Twain's Parents House, you can read more about that here.
I'm sorry I wasn't able to name all the houses, but I went and threw out the directory from the place.  All in all lots of great things to see.

2 comments:

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh I have to go visit this place it is magnificent I love all your photos. Hug B

Rose said...

I am so glad you enjoyed it...I was almost afraid to mention it because what one person likes another hates.

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...