Wednesday, October 26, 2011

It starts out with one job, but ends up escalating into this......

So on Monday I had the bright idea that I should clean out the fridge.  However on further inspection I discovered a few things that needed using up.  So made a plan to do some baking/cooking on Tuesday.

I had a tub of sour cream and some oranges that needed using, so decided to make Orange Sour Cream Loaves.  I doubled the recipe because I wanted to use the whole tub of sour cream.  My close up photos sucked, sorry.

Orange Sour Cream Loaf:

Ingredients:

1 cup full fat sour cream



1 cup granulated sugar


3 large eggs


Zest of 3 oranges


1 tsp real vanilla extract


¼ tsp salt


½ cup extra light olive oil


2 teaspoons baking powder


1 ½ cups all purpose flour

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a loaf pan. Cut a piece of parchment paper to size and place it in the bottom of the pan.

In a food processor, process sour cream, granulated sugar, eggs, orange zest, vanilla extract, salt, olive oil, and baking powder together. Add the flour and pulse until combined, being careful not to over mix.

Pour the cake batter into the loaf pan and bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Wait for 10 minutes and carefully remove to a cooling rack.

For soaking warm cake


1/3 cup fresh squeezed orange juice


1 Tablespoon granulated sugar

While the cake is cooking, add the orange juice and granulated sugar to a small sauce pan. Cook over medium high heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is melted and the liquid is mainly clear. About 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
Place the cooling rack on top of a piece of wax paper. Spoon the mixture over the cake. Allow the cake to finish cooling.






For glazing cooled cake


1 cup powdered sugar


2 Tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice

Mix together powdered sugar and orange juice. Spoon glaze over the top and let the cake set up overnight before serving.

***I did not put the glaze on my loaves it doesn't need it in my opinion.  This recipe is a keeper, if you like the taste of orange you will love this.  It has the consistency of a pound cake and is really moist.

I then had some carrots and apples that needed using up, so I made Carrot Zucchini Muffins.  Here is the link to the recipe I also posted the recipe here  I made a triple batch.

I then decided to make a batch of chocolate chip cookies, using the recipe from the Golden Crisco package. Here is the recipe, I don't put nuts in mine or make ice cream bars with them!!


By the time I had done all that it was 11am.  Now dh has been whining asking for mashed potatoes.  So I got a piece of cooked pork roast out of the freezer and decided I would make a pork roast supper for him.  I had dug up some potatoes the other week from the garden, and they were sitting in a bucket outside of the mud room door.  I decided to peel the whole bucket all at once and make a shepherd's pie with the extra potatoes for when we have company.  I then remembered I had a couple of turnips/rutabaga's in the fridge so decided to make carrot and turnip mashed together for supper along with the mashed potatoes.

I went to the veggie patch to see if I could find any carrots and onions, and found both and put them to good use.  So I made a large shepherd's pie that I will put in the freezer and it is a easy meal for us all.

I finally did get around to cleaning out the fridge which isn't a job I love doing.  I did have a good throw out in the condiment shelf as some things have been hanging around for quite a while.  I have never seen the fridge as empty in a long while, even dh noticed it.
I don't have a light bulb in the top of the fridge as I find it bright enough with just the one bulb.

So all this happened just because I wanted to clean my fridge out.  Due to doing all that, the only other things I got done on Tuesday was a big load of laundry washed, dried and ironed, supper made, dog poop picked up and fire wood brought in for the fire.  Another busy day around here.

9 comments:

Jane and Chris said...

In you spare time you could always pop over to my place and clean out the fridge!!
Jane x

~Carla~ said...

Yummy!! Everything looks delicious!! Great way to save some $$ and food! :)

Buttons Thoughts said...

Wow I will be right over get the tea kettle on. I think you should come and clean my frig the results of a table full of yummy is amazing. B

Reginas Cottage said...

hello
all that looks very yummy!!!
great job!
have a nice time,
love regina

Scarlet said...

Everything looks fab Gill. I'll definitely be giving the cookie recipe a try, as I have everything in store to make those!

DeniseinVA said...

I'm really looking forward to dinner now but after seeing this lot I think I ought to be doing some baking!!! The photos were great. Been looking in my fridge since I got back and I think I will be doing some clean-up once I get off here.

Mum said...

Wow, what a busy day. You deserve a rest after all that. Love the recipes.
Love from Mum
xx

Jackie McGuinness said...

It's always the way it goes!! One thing leads to another and before you know it the day is gone!!

Will be making that orange sour cream loaf for sure as both items are taking up room in MY fridge.

LOVE mashed carrots and turnips!!!

Rose said...

You get so much done!

You had my mouth watering with that orange sour cream loaf...I read the recipe to hubby and he thought it sounded wonderful...one of these days will have to try it.

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...