Since then we have relocated the stairs so you access them from the landing and not the bathroom. They are an exact replica of the original ones. We replaced the dormer window and installed a large 4 foot square skylight window. It's all been insulated, new drywall, painted, new flooring and carpeting. A window seat put in the dormer window area with storage underneath. We decided to use regular trim as despite the new drywall being put in the rafters and joists were not perfectly level and so the walls still bow.
We have evicted the mouse population and any other wildlife that was up there. Dh has trimmed out the corners are the drywallers left them a mess......and no we couldn't be bothered to argue with them to come and fix it. It was easier dh doing it himself. There has been a lot of blood, sweat and even a few tears with that room and despite it still not being quite finished I wanted to show you what it looks like now.
This photo is looking up the attic stairs the skylight is directly at the top of the stairs. The wood was all white pine when it was installed. I have stained and varnished it all. The carpet fitters thought it was original wood, so that made me very happy.
This is the stairs with the carpet runner on it.
This is looking at the side of the stairs, isn't it gorgeous? The detail he did was just lovely. All the nail holes are to fill and they still need a top coat of varnish on them. When you are staining and varnishing wood you shouldn't fill the nail holes until you are finished as it prevents "ghosting" as per the carpenter. Dh is on mudding the drywall underneath the stairs at the moment. I will be decorating the landing and stairs next when he has finished all the jobs on there.
This is looking down the stairs. We put the half wall in to give the room privacy as there is no door on it.This is looking towards the sky light window. The object on top of the half wall is our "temporary" electric supply until dh gets all the plugs connected. We will also have new lights, dh just hasn't had time to install them.
This is looking towards the dormer window and the window seat.
Another view of the dormer window and the seat with the lid up. I am getting a seat cushion, two throw cushions and a valance custom made for there. They're not ready yet.
This shows a close up of the trim work that had to be done in each of the corners.
Again showing the trim work and the half wall.
I painted the walls a beige colour with a hint of pink undertones in it. The trim work is white, except for the corner trim. The colour of the carpet is a darker beige colour called Taffy. The stain is English Chestnut.
I will post more photos when dh has got all the electrical work done and we have it all furnished. Mind you it's going to be furnished with what we have around the house........