Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Book Review and other things

"An Unlikely Suitor" by Nancy Moser

"New York dressmaker Lucy Scarpelli befriends socialite Rowena Langdon as she's designing her 1895 summer wardrobe. Grateful for Lucy's skill in creating fashions that hide her physical injury, Rowena invites Lucy to the family mansion in Newport, Rhode Island, encouraging the unusual friendship.

One day Lucy encounters an intriguing man on the Cliff Walk, and love begins to blossom. Yet Lucy resists, for what Newport man would want to marry an Italian dressmaker working to support her family?

Rowena faces an arranged marriage to a wealthy heir she doesn't love, but dare a crippled girl hope for anything better?

And Lucy's teenage sister, Sofia, falls for a man well above her social class--but is he willing to give up everything to marry a woman below his station?

As the lives of three young woman--and their unlikely suitors--become entangled in a web of secrets and sacrifice, will the season end with any of them finding true happiness?"

This was a really good book to read.  I got "into" the story right away, the main characters were so believablee and each one was interesting in their own right.  It was not obvious right away who the men that Lucy and Rowena loved were.  It gave an insight into how the "rich" lived during the summer at Newport in the 1900's and how little the poor had in the tenements of New York.  It also highlighted the class distinction and how one was not allowed to marry or mix with people above or below their station.  Something I think people connect with British Society, but maybe not with other parts of the world.

What was as interesting was at the end of the book there is a list of facts or fiction pertaining to what was written in each chapter.  They were as interesting to read as the book.  Some of it I knew as I had read a book on the Vanderbilt's a while ago and they were mentioned in the book.

Also at the end of the book is a section showing pictures and details of the fashion that is mentioned in the book, which I also found very interesting.

Stars out of 5: 5 I really enjoyed this book.  It was an easy read for me and I wanted to know what happened next.

"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.  Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group".

Back at work today, Monday was a super busy day but I actually got all my to-do list done.  The attic walls have now been painted twice, as has the ceiling.  That was a harder job than normal because of the sloped ceiling and walls.  I need to get on with painting all the trim and finishing off the staining and varnishing.  I am on schedule, so not as stressed about it all.  I can see light at the end of the tunnel!!

Enjoy your Tuesday.......



6 comments:

Sandi McBride said...

Sounds like a good summer read...thanks for the review!
Sandi

Kim said...

I just got my books yesterday and started that same one this morning.

Glad you liked it.

fizzycat said...

Great review, looks a fab read.
Love the global warming and underwear post too, made me smile.

Scrappy quilter said...

I can't wait to read this one. Hugs

DeniseinVA said...

This does sound like an interesting book. I remember all the mansions along the cliff walk from our time there back in 1978/80. Gregg went to a navy school in Newport and we went into a couple of the mansions. I can't imagine living in such sumptuous surroundings.

Stella Jones said...

You've written a good review of this book Gill. If I liked romances, I would be tempted to read it from what you have written. I suppose the facts at the end of the book could be meant for Book Clubs, of which there seem to be more and more around these days!

Hotel Stay - Dinner

As part of our hotel stay the kids had booked us dinner, breakfast and afternoon tea. Here is what we ate at dinner.  Everything was spot on...