Friday, May 6, 2011

A visit to the dentist.........

I had my 6 monthly check up yesterday, which resulted in my being put back on antibiotics for an infection where I had my root canal done last year.  As per my dentist a small percentage of people's root canal's are not successful.............of course I am one of the small percentage {{{SIGH}}}  I go back on the 17th to have another x-ray done and to make sure it is fine; as at this moment, it isn't!!!

I have to say my dentist knows me so well, as he skipped over that area while he was cleaning my teeth, as he knew fine well he would get it, as I had warned him not to touch it, but his assistant forgot and she was just about to spray cold water in that are when I clamped my mouth shut.  The dentist warned her not to do that or she would get it from me.....LOL

I am also a major gagger when it comes to having x-rays done.  I really don't like it when they put the plastic thing in my mouth, it makes me want to gag.  We have decided I am a perfect little helper though, as I have that plastic thing out of my mouth and in the assistant's hands in a flash when she has taken the x-ray!!!

I didn't get around to writing a post last night, as I was so tired when I finally got home.  Luckily I had made shepherd's pies the night before, so we had them for supper.  I am hoping maybe these antibiotics will also cure this awful cough I have as it's wearing me down all this coughing.

As always got a busy day ahead of me so I guess I had better get on with it.......

10 comments:

Cathy said...

Hello Gill
I'd never heard that about some root canals not being successful - after paying all that money I'd be livid it it didn't sort out the problem. Thankfully the ones I had done years ago are 'working well'
As an aside - do you put the potato on top of the meat when you freeze your shepherd's pie or just freeze the meat and then add the fresh mashed potatoes on the day?
Take care
Cathy

Rose said...

I had a root canal done, only for it to start being so painful. Just out of the blue, it would hurt like heck. Went back to the dentist...he said he could pull it or try redoing the filling part...I said pull it. He did, and the tooth had cracked and there was nothing he could have done other than pull it.

I hate going to the dentist worse than anything...

Stephanie V said...

Oh, poor you! Such a lot of trouble you had over that root canal...only to have it not be successful. I like how you see the positive: hope that cough is knocked out by the meds.

Stella Jones said...

I agree with Cathy. You should get your money back for that root canal treatment because IT HASN'T WORKED! You shouldn't still be experiencing pain all this while after. Keep at him or change your dentist. Trouble is whenever one changes one's dentist, they always want to start all over again, don't they. I'm sure the antibiotics will help the cough but with an infection in your mouth, it's no wonder you got a cough, is it.
Take care.

Winifred said...

What annoys me is that you often need a root canal filling as a result of the dentist damaging the root when they fill your tooth! They are the absolute pits root canal fillings, I ended up having my tooth crowned a few years later. Costs an arm & a leg to keep a tooth but better than falsies Gill.

Hope your cough gets better soon too.

Piece by Piece said...

Sorry your tooth is acting up again. My dentist does not use the plastic things anymore, he invested in a small digital contraption-he made sure he told me it cost a lot of money- that must be why he charged me an arm and a leg for a pin which holds the new filling he just put in, thatk goodness for dental health insurance.
Patricia

angela said...

Oh I gag too, therefor I figure if they cant find the hole by looking and Im not in pain, then I dont need the xray.
Hope you feel better soon.

DeniseinVA said...

I think the fact that my root canal broke down was the reason I lost one of my back molar's. You have my every sympathy on that and the bad cough. Mine was so bad I threw my back out so please be careful you don't do that as well, and I hope you feel better real soon.

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Hi Gill!! I'll hope the medication calms the tooth down! Of course I do know about root canals not working and I've had one redone. After 3 years, it's still okay. But I wouldn't admit it, if it wasn't... Hope you're getting some rest and you enjoy your weekend!

Caitrin Femia said...

I have a rather sensitive gag reflex too, but to metal instead of plastic. You can imagine how difficult that must be for my dentist, but he’s thankfully very patient and understanding. When he cleans my teeth, he makes it a point that my tongue doesn’t make contact with any of the metal instruments. When he puts the mirror in my mouth to have a look, he makes sure it stays a good distance away from my tongue.

Hotel Stay - Dinner

As part of our hotel stay the kids had booked us dinner, breakfast and afternoon tea. Here is what we ate at dinner.  Everything was spot on...