Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day and good customer service....

to all the mother's out there in Canada and the States.  I know Britain celebrated Mother's Day in March, not sure if anyone else celebrates it today as well?

The kids are coming up as the boys are helping dh hang a 12 foot piece of drywall/plasterboard under the attic stairs.  The job is not a long one, it just takes a lot of muscle power.  Meanwhile I want to head into the attic and see if I can get a coat of paint on the walls before they come.

We popped out yesterday to pick up more paint as the attic is a big room, so I knew I wouldn't have enough.  We went to a DIY store that is Canadian based as that is where I got the original can.  Now it wasn't the one I normally go to, infact it was the one close to Hwy 400 and Hwy 7.  We were there around 4:30pm and there was one person in the paint department.  We stood ages waiting to be served.  Dh wanted a couple of other things but couldn't find them, nor could he find anyone to help him.

When paying for the paint I asked the cashier is they had, had all their hours cut and she said yes.  So I told her to tell the manager, that due to the lack of staff and not finding what we wanted and not being able to find what we were looking for, we were heading to their competitors Lowes to finish of our shopping.

When we got to Lowes it was busy but at least there were plenty of staff there to help us with our questions.  In this day and age customer service is expected and good customer service keeps customers coming back.  The other store should remember that!!!

Enjoy your Sunday...

8 comments:

Cindy@NorthofWiarton said...

"Touche" !!! In this day & age with prices the way they are & with gas prices just to get there, there should be "fantastic" customer service in these stores. I did remember to wish my British F/B friend Happy Mother's Day when Britain celebrated theirs. Hope you had a "great" one yourself, Gill. Enjoy the sunshine !

Rose said...

Happy Mother's day! Even though it sounds like you guys will be working, at least you will be together.

Stephanie V said...

Too bad that that's the way Lowe's gets their big foot in the door. Customer service is important but you need the sales to sustain the staff. A vicious circle...not one I have any solution for and I'm just as likely to perpetuate it.
Happy Mother's Day!

~Carla~ said...

I hate going into a store & having to hunt high & low for someone to help too! That's too bad that store was like that.... :(

Hope you have a wonderful Mothers Day! :)

Scrappy quilter said...

Happy Mother's Day. We have the same problem with one of our hardware stores. I don't even think they've cut staff..it's just the way they've always been. Hugs

angela said...

Happy mothers day to you too. We celebrated mothers day this weekend as well.

Cathy said...

Hello Gill
As Angela mentioned ours here in Asutralia was yesterday as well. I do remember Mothering Sunday in March from when I lived in England - in those days (pre 1972) it wasn't as commercial as Mother's Day here in Australia but I've no idea what its like now. Couldn't be any worse than the hype and spending spree people go through here.
On another note I've just changed the supermarket I shop at because of bad service - and the gym not long ago as well
Take care
Cathy

Stella Jones said...

Yes, very annoying when there aren't enough staff. Also annoying when the staff can't answer one's questions! I have also bought paint to do the kitchen ceiling, but I'm waiting for a rainy day to do it. So far I've waited six weeks!

Hotel Stay - Dinner

As part of our hotel stay the kids had booked us dinner, breakfast and afternoon tea. Here is what we ate at dinner.  Everything was spot on...