Saturday, April 18, 2009

Garage Sale Day today.....and other bits and bobs..

So I spent Friday bringing things up from the basement and pricing things. Needless to say by Friday night I was aching all over. I then had to wander around the neighbourhood and put up signs on Friday night advertising it.

The pricing of things is difficult I find as what I think it might be worth, other people may not. I am charging $4 each for the Disney VHS movies or 3 for $10. The rest of the VHS movies are 50 cents each or 10 for $4. Music cd's I am charging $1 each, music tapes 50 cents each. LP's $2 each and singles $1 each. I have a lot of drinking glasses I am charging 25 cents each for those. All books I am going to charge 50 cents for in the hopes of getting rid of them. The list goes on and on.

I was a happy camper yesterday afternoon as I discovered my rhubarb poking its head through the soil. I thought the voles had eaten it, so I dug that up and put it in a bucket to take to the new house with us. I don't think I told you the other day, but there is a veggie plot up at the new house. Now the woman did say she did nothing with it last year, so I am hoping to rent a rototiller/rotovator for the day and that should sort that out, so it may not be as hard a job to start a veggie garden this year as I thought it would be.

Also have you seen this on You Tube, it's really funny!!!

10 comments:

Cathy said...

We are on the same path.. I need to have a garage sale really really bad and I need to think about my garden but for now I will make it through tonight.

Margaret's Ramblings said...

I watched the father and son act last night on the telly, absolutely brilliant. LOL. Over here at the carboots videos are selling for ten pence, you just can't get rid of them. At one charity shop they were offering teo free with every purchase. Terrible isn't it. Best of luck for today.

Margaret

EG CameraGirl said...

Good luck with your garage sale. You'll be tired at the end of the day but likely be pleased with having less "stuff."

You can always lower prices on items that don't sell quickly. It all depends on how much you want to take to your new home. ;-)

Lib said...

Hi Gill,
Hope you have a sale out!:o)
Sounds like great prices!
You will Love a veggie garden!
Have a great wk.end!
Blessins',Lib

Scrappy quilter said...

Videos seldom go anymore when there are yard sales here. We ended up donating ours to the library and they go out often (funny heh).

Hope everything goes well today. I learnt if I wanted to sell the things at a yard sale, I had to have my prices lower than the next guy. I finally realized it wasn't worth all the work...now I just donate to goodwill.

Can't wait to hear how you did.

Notes From The Frugal Trenches said...

Saw those dancers live. Fabulous.

Do you watch British tv? Corrie on CBC? Do you get BBC Canada (which is sadly nowhere near as good as BBC America or Europe).

Good Luck with the garage sale. I didn't know anyone still had audio tapes!

landcuckoo said...

Hope the garage sale goes well for you, all sounds very organised!

I love that Stavros Flately clip, I found it the other day and have been sending it to all and sundry!

I just read that you were going to get a rotweiller for your new place to help with the veggie patch - had to re-read as I couldn't quite understand what help it would be! But I have also just discovered my rhubarb appearing in the corner of our veggie patch too!

Take care
sarah x

Susie H said...

Good luck with your sale today! I second Margaret about VHS in the Uk - you can't GIVE them away. How I wish I had a VHS player...I could score a ton of movies for the kids. But must. avoid. more. stuff!

Gill - That British Woman said...

thanks for all your good wishes, I will be posting on Sunday how it all went.

Gill

Carletta said...

Gargage sales are such hard work - especially the pricing. I don't envy you at all.

I loved the YouTube video - I laughed so hard. Is it me or is Simon more human in Britian. :)

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...