Wednesday, July 13, 2016

I finally gave in........

and went to the doctors.

Turns out not only have I got bad allergies; I also have a "virus:  I think a "virus" is a catch-all term for "you have something; not sure what, but antibiotics should do the trick!!"

So I came out with a prescription for oral antibiotic's, antibiotic drops for my eyes, and allergy eye drops.  From that you will have guessed it's my eyes that are a problem, with them constantly watering and they are closed shut in the morning, with gunk and stuff.

It's been a bad year for allergies around here, as it has been so dry.  Plus we are surrounded by potato fields and we live on a building site.  Dust is the biggest culprit for me, along with fresh mown grass and pollen.

Anyhoo, things must be bad, as I am using a nasal spray on my nose, and to my mind that is icky and a no, no.  Also I would rather go to the dentist than do anything with my eyes; especially put drops in them.  As I have NEVER put drops in my eyes before, honestly I avoid all things eyes like the plague; I decided I had better have a word with the pharmacist to get some tips on how to do it.

So she was quite graphic in explaining the technique, and if she didn't show me once, she had to show me numerous times how to make a "pocket" in your lower eyelid.  Tears were pouring from my eyes meanwhile; not crying just my eyes watering thinking about it all.  In the end I told her to stop demonstrating I got the picture.  I then asked if I did the antibiotic eye drop and then put in the allergy one straight after.  No, I have to wait five minutes between drops.  At that point I rolled my eyes and said,"is this so I can prolong the agony?"  She found that funny and then said I only had to wait a minute or two.

So I have put the drops in twice now.  I have to do this for 10 sodding days...........I am not happy but I am desperate for some relief, so I will pull up my big girl pants and get on with it I guess?

Meanwhile I look like this:
roll on Fall..........


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can never put eye drops in the normal way. I tilt my head to the side and drip it in the side of my eye. I can't stand anything coming at my eye so doing it in the side way is much easier. Plus when I do this in the mirror I can actually watch what I'm doing without having something coming directly at my eye making me go crossed eyed.

Betsy said...

Oh I'm so sorry. My Husband is much the same as you with his eyes. I have to practically sit on him to get drops in his eyes. I, on the other hand, have absolutely no problem putting drops in my eyes. I hope you get relief very soon.
Blessings,
Betsy

Terra said...

The picture sums up your suffering. I hope your treatments and eye drops do the trick of healing you.

Susan said...

Hi Gill, I rarely comment but feel I must question if your doctor also mentioned any other kind of infection. Antibiotics are for bacterial infections they do not kill viruses. Did he/she take a swab? It may be you have been put on an antibiotic while you await confirmation of an infection from the lab. If not I would check back with your doc or get advice from your lovely pharmacist. Taking antibiotics when we do not have an infection leads to antibiotic resistance which is a very bad thing. Just broke my rule about diagnosing online but just hate the overuse of antibiotics

mamasmercantile said...

Bless you. Lets hope all the medication works and you get some relief.

T'Pol said...

Hope you feel better soon. If your eyes are shut with gunk and stuff in the morning, you must have a bacterial infection and that is probably why you have been prescribed a drop with antibiotics but I also agree with Susan. Before your doc knows what type of bacteria it is, she cannot know what drop to prescribe. Some docs say they prescribe a wide spectrum antibiotic but I am not sure if that is a good thing.

I get at least two or three infections every year because, I stupidly rub my eyes and my eyes are already extremely sensitive.

e-Hugs...

Jenn Jilks said...

having eye issues are terrible. On our drive into the city for hubby's cancer issue, I had a hair in my eye. drove me nuts! We had a massive trip to the city. http://bit.ly/29Lk3yy

Patricia said...

If you feel as bad as the picture looks, I feel sorry for you. Hope you get relief soon.

Patricia

William Kendall said...

I've done nasal sprays for sinus infections, but I've never had eye drops. I hope the antibiotics work quickly.

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...