Wednesday, May 26, 2010

I'm pooped.........

the heat is a bit too much for me and Molly.

I was out in the garden just after 7am on Tuesday and managed to get the soil moved into the new garden.  It's still not finished yet as I have to buy more edging.  I was disappointed with the quality of soil/compost mix I got.  It was full of weeds, and information stakes that come with plants, even a plastic pot and some netting.  I called the garden centre and the owner told me that they make their own compost and that it's normal to find that sort of thing in their compost???  Remind me not to order soil from there again............

Anyhow, I am planting Gladioli and another annual that I can't for the life of me remember the name in that garden bed. Here is a link to a photo of the plant, it's the second photo the tall red plant.



I managed to get more grass cut before it got too hot.  Dd is coming over today, so she is going to start on the field for me.

We picked up these Emerald Cedars on sale this weekend. There are ten of them and I want to plant them on the north west side of the property to eventually make a wind break from the winter winds.  We are hoping to achieve this screening before we die, that is why we picked up four foot plants not little baby ones!!  I am willing to plant them a little further apart to alow them to fill in naturally, as on the internet they reccomend them being planted at least two feet from the trunk.  I was thinking closer to four feet apart?  I'll see, when I get them all set out.


The heat is forcing all the irises to bloom:






I finally got around to putting lemon juice on my quilt block to see if I can get rid of the scorch marks;


I just looked at it, and the scorch marks seem to be a bit lighter, so have put some more lemon juice on it.

12 comments:

Leiani said...

Those iris' are just beautiful! They're my favourite flower in the whole world. I wonder if they would grow here in my garden??? Considering I don't have a green thumb AT ALL - then probably not. LOL!

BadPenny said...

I'm afraid I don't know what the red plant is called though I do recognise it. The Iris are lovely & blooming all over Blogland !

Tania said...

Nothing like fresh warm air to wear you out...

Those iris's look stunning, lovely colour purple.

MyBulletinBoard said...

I used to live where the dust bowl began in the U.S. They planted cedars all along the property lines and around their farm houses to keep the soil in place and break the wind. The trees are huge now, but they did the trick! You can see where farm houses used to be because there will be a shorter line, and sometimes a square, of cedars back off the road.

It's looking beautiful. Be careful the tax man doesn't drive by and say to himself, Hmmm, we need to increase the evaluation on that property!

Liz, The Republic

grendelskin said...

Canna lilies! I always tell myself that I'm going to stick to hardy perennials but I then find myself pulling up glads, cannas, colocasias, etc., etc. I love the colors of tropical but boy do I hate dismantling and reassembling the flower beds.

We make our own dirt using lawn cuttings, leaves, and our kitchen compost. We use the simplest method - chicken wire rings on the periphery of the yard, just dump the stuff in. Takes a long time and there's never as much dirt as I want, but it's *good* dirt and if I mix it with purchased I get a nice mix.

Piece by Piece said...

Gill, I belive the flower is called Canna Lily. Does it have a corm-like root?It's hot here also, I did my gardening after dinner last night, you iris a lovelu, mine are also blooming.
Keep cool
Patricia

Rose said...

It's sweltering hot here again today...I need to do a little gardening also, but not hear as much as what you have ahead of you. It is going to look good when you are done.

I like your quilt block...I have two quilt posts...not for today but the previous two days. If you are interested, one of them is a link/entry to a blogger's quilt festival...I have seen lots and lots of quilts.

Karine said...

It's very hot up here too, Gill, like 34 degrees and it feels like 40 out there right now. I just got back from vacation down south though, so I'm taking it in stride, except when I get into my steamy apartment. My cats aren't enjoying the heat too much though, they just flake out in one place and only move once every few hours, the poor girls.

The Witch said...

Those red flowers are a Canna Lilly.
They need lots of sun, and will grow to over 3 feet if the conditions are just right. They also have a striped leaf variety that will grow a orange flower.
We pull them out in the fall and just put them in a plastic bag top open and leave them in the garage. Mine are sprouting now so Hubby will be planting them soon. I like them but I really don't fuss over them and maybe that's why they strive to grow.
Sunflowers are my favorite and I have them started inside right now.

Manchester Lass, Now and Then said...

Oh I feel for you Gill as I really dislike our hot and humid weather now. Winter begins on 1st of June and the weather at the moment is just perfect♥ Lovely flowers. Hope things cool down somewhat for you all xx

DeniseinVA said...

Enjoyed looking at all the photos, and reading your post. I agree, your iris' are magnificent. A lot of hard work that you will eventually reap the rewards for. It was hot and humid here today.

Beyond the Dog Dish said...

Ahh three things I love about your blog: Canada, gardening and dogs! My Iris (Ontario) arent close to blooming yet - yours are beautiful

Miss Kodee ~ Fetch Photos

{{{SIGH}}}

Tuesday was a mixed bag type of day. Had the appliance repair guy come again to install another circuit board in the fridge.  When hubby got...